ALLEGED PHONE THIEVES TO BE CALLED TO ACCOUNT
Four teenagers, the oldest of them 18, were arrested last week on suspicion of stealing mobile phones from motorists stopped at intersections, police said. The thefts were allegedly carried out near a market in Chamkarmon district, with the suspects swiping phones out of the hands of drivers gabbing while waiting for the light to turn. Two of the suspects confessed during interrogation, and police seized two phones to be used as evidence. The other two suspects were released. The case has been sent to Phnom Penh Municipal Court.
BUYER OR THIEF OF BIKE, ONLY COURT CAN DECIDE
A robbery case in Banteay Meanchey province last week saw police juggling one stolen motorbike and two competing claims. A 25-year-old suspect found with the motorbike said that he bought it from three men in his village in Battambang province. The bike’s previous owner, however, said the motorbike had been stolen while he was riding home from school. Police believed the second man and arrested the first last Monday. The bike has been returned to its original owner, and the case has been sent to provincial court.
TUOL KORK POLICE NAB THREE IN ONE DAY
Police in Tuol Kork district arrested a trio of suspected thieves Friday in unrelated busts. Investigators said the suspects are between the ages of 21 and 25. The 21-year-old man, who has been in prison several times, is accused of stealing a motorbike. The 22-year-old suspect allegedly swiped a necklace from a woman while she was cruising on her motorbike. The third man, 25, is accused of stealing a mobile phone. All three cases have been referred to Phnom Penh Municipal Court.
OFFENDED DRUNK DESTROYS FIELD IN A FIT OF RAGE
A 44-year-old man suspected of destroying a farmer’s valuable crops told police that he became enraged after the farmer banned him from getting drunk in his field. Kandal provincial police arrested the man Thursday, after he was blamed for the destruction of a field full of soy in the middle of the previous night. A total of 456 plants were said to be ruined. The suspect allegedly told investigating officers that he had asked several times for permission to get drunk in the field, but had been denied each time. The case has been sent to provincial court.