PENNILESS MAN KILLS HIMSELF IN CAPITAL
A 30-year-old hotel worker committed suicide on Saturday at his home near Phnom Penh’s Kandal market in Daun Penh district. According to the man’s family, he hanged himself after having an argument with his mother on Saturday over her refusal to give him money.
‘GANGSTER’ GROUP GETS HAMMERED
Five “gangsters” were arrested on Sunday in Takeo province’s Daun Keo district after attacking and injuring one another during a drunken argument. Police said the quintet were armed with hammers, and that several were seriously injured. Local residents said they were happy to see the arrests made, as the group had been a constant source of disturbances in the area.
PAIR ON THE HOOK FOR ILLEGAL FISHING
Two men were detained on Saturday in Battambang province’s Thmor Koal district on Saturday for illegal fishing. Police said the pair were arrested following a complaint from local residents, who claimed that their unorthodox methods had decimated local fisheries over the past six months. Some members of the community were jealous of the high number of fish the duo were hauling in on a daily basis, one resident added.
RAPE THWARTED IN MEANCHEY DISTRICT
A 29-year-old man was detained on Saturday in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district after allegedly attempting unsuccessfully to rape a local woman. Police said the suspect, a construction worker, broke into the house and attempted to assault the victim before being thwarted by her neighbours, who heard her cries for help. The woman said the suspect was friends with her husband, who was at work at the time of the incident.
MOTORBIKE ACCIDENT CLAIMS TWO MEN
Two men were killed in Phnom Penh’s Tuol Kork district on Sunday in a head-on collision between their motorbikes. Police said the men died instantly, though their deaths could have been prevented had they been wearing helmets. The narrow road, police added, was a dangerous place for the men to be driving so quickly.
FORMER KARAOKE SINGER FOUND DEAD
A 25-year-old karaoke singer was found dead in a guesthouse in Sihanoukville on Sunday after she swallowed poison. The guesthouse owner said he sent the woman to a hospital upon discovering her, but to no avail. Local residents speculated that the woman may have been depressed because she had trouble earning money.