Robbers nab gold and money at gunpoint
A GOLD vendor and her son were robbed at gunpoint in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district on Saturday, police said. The 51-year-old victim and her son were walking home from the market when they were allegedly accosted by three masked men – one of whom brandished a gun – who stole her jewellery and US$500. The woman filed a complaint with local authorities, but police said it was too late for a proper investigation.
Guesthouse raid yields yama, two suspects
TWO men accused of drug trafficking and possession have been nabbed by police after a raid on a guesthouse in Poipet town on Sunday. Police said they recovered one package of yama and drug paraphernalia. Police claimed that the suspects were buying drugs in Poipet town and selling them in Phnom Penh. Police said they are investigating the crime further and searching for additional suspects.
Woman takes life over husband’s mistress
A 23-YEAR-OLD woman killed herself on Saturday in Phnom Penh’s Russei Keo district reportedly from overdosing on pain-killers. Neighbours speculated that she took her life out of jealousy of her husband’s new mistress. Her husband said that they had had an argument the previous day, but he was unsure why his wife would commit suicide. The neighbours said the victim spoke often of her jealousy and frustration that her husband would not come home at night.
Drive-by necklace robbers caught
TWO suspects have been sent to court after allegedly snatching a necklace from a woman and injuring her neck on Sunday, Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district police said. The two male suspects drove by the woman on a motorbike and ripped the necklace form her neck, they said. Police caught the alleged perpetrators, who were attempting to flee, but the suspects had apparently dumped the necklace during the pursuit. The victim was hospitalised.
Man dies of electric shock during repairs
A 26-YEAR-OLD military officer died after being shocked by an electric wire while repairing his brother’s vehicle on Sunday in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district. Police reported that the victim accidentally touched an electric wire with a live current and was electrocuted. He was transported to the hospital, but doctors were unable to revive him.