Answer for Thursday 12 March.
1. According to the article, India enjoys an advantage over China in Africa
b) due to good will.
2. Perhaps the main interest of both China and India in Africa is
b) access to its natural resources.
3. Devi Shetty's main goal in life is to
c) achieve the universal Walmartisation of health care.
4. Kalam's pan-African e-Network hopes to
a) link all African capitals to Indian health care.
5. Why is China's voice in Africa larger than India's?
c) China is investing hugely in African infrastructure.
Listen and answer the following questions
1. The protesters are
c) boat owners, travel agents and tuk-tuk drivers.
2. The Sou Ching Company is offering tickets to tourists at
a) discount prices.
3. It is alleged that tourist police are
c) forcing tourists to buy tickets from Heng Mao's people.
4. The opinion of Ho Vandy toward this situation is that
d) the company and protesters should reach a compromise.
5. If this dispute is not resolved, then the article says that
c) many hundreds of families will lose income.
Select the word that correctly completes the sentence.
1. Birds all over the world ___ in distances up to thousands of miles.
2. Cellulose, which ___ for making paper, is found in all plants.
a) is used
3. ___, humans have relatively constant body temperatures.
c) Like all mammals
4. So far there is no vaccine ___ in sight for the common cold.
c) or cure
5. The Louisiana Territory was an area ___ the size of France.
b) more than four times
6. Despite claims that filters make smoking somewhat safer, they only marginally reduce, ___ eliminate, the hazards.
7. ___ many of the plans for the new capital were thought lost, Mr Bannecker helped reproduce the original plans.
8. Generally speaking, every person ___ the potential to be a teacher.
9. ___ business, a merger is a combination of two or more
corporations under one management.
10. ___ of parcels by airplane began in the 1920s at the same time as air mail.
a) The shipping
11. It can sometimes ___ a home.
b) take several months to sell
12. In the United States, ___ is most concentrated is New Orleans.
b) the city where French influence