Answer for Thursday 19 March.
1. What is causing ordinary people to doubt economists?
c) Their advice led to the financial crisis
2. What, according to the article, is the main error of the economists?
a) Their failure to challenge the consensus view
3. What field of economics tends to put more distance between specialists and the real world?
4. Skill economists, according to the article, must
d) pick and choose among various economic models
5. Before the financial crisis, most economists
a) opposed more government regulation of markets
Listen and answer the following questions
1. Why does the telephone software deter liars?
b) The callers are deceived into believing the software can detect lies.
2. What does the software detect?
c) Involuntary changes in speech wave-form.
3. The article believes that the software
a) has not really proven its validity.
4. Despite not being scientifically validated, the software still deters liars
b) because it is able to bluff people.
Select the word or phrase that correctly completes the sentence
1. Birds make nests in trees _____ hide their young in leaves and branches.
a) can where they
2. Sleeping, resting, and _____ are the best ways to care for a cold.
d) drinking fluids
3. Van Gogh's "Sunflowers"_____ $30 million, three times the previous record.
a) once sold for
4. Some monkeys, ______, use their tails like hands.
a) like the spider monkey
5. Black, red, and even pink diamonds ______.
c) have occasionally been found
6. It is gravity ______ objects toward the Earth.
b) that pulls
7. ______ their territories but rather than fight they howl.
d) Wolves jealously protect
8. ______strength of 70 horses, a forklift is a mighty machine.
b) With the
9. Using a globe can be ______ it is educational.
d) as enjoyable as
10. Many accidents at home can be prevented by ______ elimination of hazards.
11. ______ problems faced by sailors in the tropics is the coral reefs.
a) One of the biggest
12. Each mediocre book we read means one less great book that we would otherwise have a chance _____.
c) to read