Answer for Thursday 14 May.
1. Why are many Asian economies especially susceptible to the economic crisis?
d) They are very export dependent.
2. What is one advantage of Singapore's open economy?
c) It allows for a more rapid recovery when global conditions change.
3. The outbreak of the swine flu means that
c) Singapore might face a new risk to its economy.
4. Singapore's current economic downturn is ______ that of 1998.
c) more severe than
5. The purpose of Singapore's currency swap agreement with the Federal Reserve:
a) to insure sufficient dollar liquidity
Listen and answer the following questions
1. What seems to be the main reason people use flags of convenience?
b) to save money
2. Ship registration in Cambodia is
b) rather lax
3. All ships registered in Cambodia need
c) radio contact.
4. Cambodia collects how much in ship registration fees each year?
d) an unknown amount
5. How expensive are Cambodian ship registrations?
c) moderate, between cheap and expensive
Choose the one word or phrase that must be changed for the sentence to be correct.
1. One of history's most spectacular executions were that of Damiens, the
A B C
unsuccessful assassin of Louis XV of France.
2. Globes and maps have always been important throughout history, but never
as more so than today.
3. Since vitamins are contained in a wide variety of foods, people seldom
A B C
lack of most of them.
4. Psychological experiment indicate that people remember more math problems
that they cannot solve than those they are able to solve.
B C D
5. The sun is a huge fiery globe at a average distance of 150,000,000 kilometres
A B C
from the earth.