More than 70 villagers in Kampong Cham province’s Batheay district fell ill on Friday after eating apparently tainted noodle soup sold at a market in Tomnup commune, police said. Deputy district police chief Rum Ratana said villagers in Tomnup had gone shopping at the market, with some buying the soup for breakfast.
Those who had eaten the noodles later began to experience headaches and vomiting. “From this morning until 2pm, we counted 65 villagers who have been sent to the referral hospital in Batheay district. There will be more.” he said. “They don’t have serious vomiting or headaches. Some have returned home after being injected with serums.”
Ben Rath, Kampong Cham provincial police chief, later said that the number of those affected had reached 76, including children under 10. “A man and a woman, who made noodles to sell at Tomnup market have been brought to police for questioning,” he said.
Mass food poisonings are not uncommon in Cambodia. In late March, more than 500 people fell ill after eating tainted sandwiches at an NGO event. Investigators blamed bad preparation practices for the contamination.