Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Strike order protested

Strike order protested

About 50 striking garment workers representing more than 2,000 employees from M&V International Garment Factory yesterday gathered outside Phnom Penh Municipal Court where they submitted a letter demanding a court order prohibiting their industrial action be scrapped.

Hem Sokponlok, president of Cambodian Industrial Union Federation, said the coalition of 10 unions wanted the May 26 “protection order” annulled to protect workers taking action against “severe working conditions”.

“The main purpose of our gathering today was to ask the court to find justice for our workers who were exploited by garment factory employers,” Sokponlok said.

The order says M&V workers, who are seeking a 2,000 riel a day food allowance and $15 a month for transportation, must resume their posts, while unions are barred from arranging protests that will affect the factory’s production.

Earlier this week, the Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia slammed the now two-week old strike, saying it had repercussions for the broader industry.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Bodies of Cambodian peacekeepers returned to Kingdom

The bodies of four Cambodian peacekeepers killed by a Christian militia in Central African Republic were repatriated to the Kingdom and honoured in an airport ceremony on May 21.

Phnom Penh eats: Ptas Nak Battambang

As the name suggests, Ptsa Nak Battambang – which in English means Battambang's house – is the right place for those who want to try some of the province's typical dishes in Phnom Penh.

Defence Minister Tea Banh yesterday said the popular appeal of the Cambodia National Rescue Party’s pledge to substantially boost commune budgets p

Opposition surrogate Kong Korm speaks to supporters at a campaign event on Monday in Prey Veng province in front a CNRP banner bearing the face of ex-party leader Sam Rainsy. Facebook

The National Election Committee has rejected an opposition campaign advertisement from airing on a state-owned television station because it featur