With reports buzzing around town on Monday that the iconic X Bar was on fire, crowds of onlookers rushed to the scene and created some anarchy in the street, with the horde of motos at one point hampering the access of fire fighting vehicles.
But X Bar was not ablaze: the fire was on the roof of the Heart of Angkor Guesthouse behind the bar on Sivutha Boulevard, opposite Pub Street.
According to Siem Reap deputy governor, Nou Phalla, the fire was caused by blacksmith repairs.
“The fire started while the blacksmith was repairing the steel roof,” the deputy governor said. “Sparks were dropped on papers and other dry things such as wood.”
He added that luckily no one was injured, and firemen, using four fire trucks, battled the blaze for about twenty minutes.
A staffer from the adjoining X Bar told Siem Reap Insider, “It was Lucky for X Bar. While I was working on the new bar, Bar 2, there was at first the smell of smoke and then smoke poured from the roof next to us.
“I got wet pouring water onto the X-Bar roof to save it from catching on fire.”
The owner of Heart of Angkor Guesthouse could not be reached for the comment. But according to an eye witness, the fire only damaged steel and zinc on the guesthouse roof.