THE COMING OF ELTON
Will he or won’t he questions still surround the notion that Elton John may perform at the temples in Siem Reap this coming November.
The man said to be the Cambodian team leader behind the project is Mark Jackson, publisher of AsiaLife among other things. Last week Mark indicated that Elton John would be performing in Siem Reap and that a press release to that effect would be issued this week.
But this week Mark became somewhat circumspect, telling Man About that “the team” was not ready to come out with a press statement yet.
He added, “However, can confirm that no performer or band has as yet been confirmed for the event.”
Then he added even more exciting news: “We’re planning to have a press statement in March.”
No doubt Mark, being the astute publisher he is, is holding the news up his sleeve, so to speak, so that he can break it in his AsiaLife publication.
And no doubt there will be a lot of candles in the wind the night Elton sings at Angkor.
Meanwhile, apologies have been proffered to Sokha Angkor gm, the sartorially splendid Emmett McHenry, who was falsely accused by consultants Saigon Sounds of leaking information about the tour to 7Days.
FILM FEST SUCCESS
The Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort is riding high on the success of the inaugural
Angkor Wat International Film Festival which is hosted on the weekend beginning Friday January 17.
Sofitel’s general manager Fabrice Ducry and Dr Thomas Vendetti, Emmy Award winner and organiser of the festival, welcomed guest of honour Sou Phirin, Governor of Siem Reap Province, and other government representatives, local residents, expats and tourists with a cocktail reception, where about 200 people gathered in the Phokeethra Ballroom of the Sofitel.
According to a press release, “Fabrice Ducry commented that he was very pleased to host such a cultural event. Sofitel as a company, since its repositioning in the luxury segment in 2008 has put as part of its core values, the promotion of Art in all its forms and this weekend was the perfect celebration for the movie lovers who came in numbers to enjoy.”
NEW DATE FOR ART EXPLO
Siem Reap won’t be hosting the second Angkor Art Explo this year as originally planned.
That’s the bad news, but the good news is that it will be held a few weeks later than planned, with the new date being January 2013.
Explo founder Loven Ramos told reporter Claire Byrne that January simply makes more sense commercially.
He said, “We found out we sold more in January alone than all of the last six months combined. It’s unbelievable.
“From a business point of view, you help more artists by selling more art, they get more exposure.”