Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Men’s Futures dropped for ITF Junior event

Men’s Futures dropped for ITF Junior event

Tep Rithivit (left) has said the time has come to harness Cambodia’s young tennis talent.
Tep Rithivit (left) has said the time has come to harness Cambodia’s young tennis talent. Sreng Meng Srun

Men’s Futures dropped for ITF Junior event

After a successful five-year run, Tennis Cambodia has decided to drop the triple-leg $10,000 ITF Men’s Futures Series this year in favour of holding the Kingdom’s first ever Grade 5 ITF Junior Circuit event for boys and girls at the National Training Center, from October 24-29.

Since entering the ITF tour in 2011, Cambodia has emerged as one of the most popular pro-circuit stops in the region, which each year attracts better quality players.

Its unique timing between the third week of November and the first two weeks of December, as the last of the series to grab ranking points before the crucial Australian Open qualifiers, had also given the Cambodian series added significance.

While sponsor support for the Futures had been quite steady over the last five years, Tennis Cambodia’s shift of focus from men’s to juniors is seen as more strategic than driven by concerns over waning sponsorship interests.

“We took great pride in bringing the ITF men’s event to Cambodia before we had the honour of playing in the Davis Cup. Our organisational excellence, hospitality and spectacular tourism prospects have all added to Cambodia’s international appeal.

“But it is time for the reassessment of our priorities in terms of the game’s growth,” Tep Rithivit, secretary-general of Tennis Cambodia, said yesterday.

“The time has come to harness our young talent. The grassroots programs that we put in place years ago are beginning to bear fruit, and the only way to develop these talents is to create an international platform for our juniors,” he said. “Our long term vision is to create a pathway for these youngsters to step up to the national team.

“This creates a steady flow of good players and healthy progression to fill our national slots.

During the week-long event, seven Cambodian juniors are likely to be given wild cards for the qualifiers.

“Our senior players will be looked after like they have always been. We place great importance on our Davis Cup campaigns. But alongside this, we need to produce a good stock of juniors, some of whom can get world rankings and move up in the ladder,” Rithivit said.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all