Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Seavmey books ticket to Rio Games 2016

Seavmey books ticket to Rio Games 2016

Taekwondo sensation Sorn Seavmey raises the Cambodian flag. AFP
Taekwondo sensation Sorn Seavmey raises the Cambodian flag. AFP

Seavmey books ticket to Rio Games 2016

After ending Cambodia’s 44-year medal drought at the Asian Games with the Kingdom’s first ever gold in Incheon two years ago, taekwondo sensation Sorn Seavmey has set another record by becoming the first athlete to achieve Olympic qualification.

At the Mariott Convention Center Grand Ballroom in Pasay, Philliipines, 21-year-old Seavmey outclassed local favourite Elaine Aloes 5-0 in the women’s over 67kg category final to seal her place in the upcoming Rio Olympics.

In the drama-filled semi-finals, Seavmey outkicked Mokru Khalimova of Tajikistan 2-1 even as Aloes scored a 10-2 upset win over top-ranked Akram Kodabandeh of Iran, a silver medallist at the 2014 Asian Games.

With both the finalists assured of Olympic spots, Seavmey was clearly looking to end the competition on a high, and she easily accomplished her goal by dominating the 26-year-old Aloes all the way.

As the news of Seavmey’s spectacular landmark victory spread like wildfire in Cambodia, Prime Minister Hun Sen was among the first to take to social media to hail her direct Olympic qualification, something no other athlete in the history of Cambodian sports has ever achieved.

The Prime Minister said he would encourage and support the Taekwondo star in her international efforts.

Coach Choi Yung Suk believes Seavmey is endowed with a tough mentality that makes her fearless of reputations, and this was clear to see in the Philippines.

Choi Yung Suk had taken Seavmey and Chheang Puthearim for a rigorous training camp for nearly a month in South Korea before the competition.

Having served as a national coach since 1994, the South Korean Choi Yung Suk, who regards Cambodia as his adopted home, has been part of the success story involving both Seavmey and her elder sister Sorn Davin, a 2013 Myanmar silver medallist and a bronze winner in the Asian Championships.

Seavmey skipped the 2015 SEA Games in Singapore to concentrate on winning a ticket to Rio despite the well known fact that were she to fail the NOCC would have sought a wild card under the universality placement.

Seavmey faced the difficult decision whether or not to adopt a strict diet and training regimen that may have impacted the physical and mental strength needed to fight at her best to shed 5 kilograms in three months to make a lower weight for Singapore.

To go or not was the stark choice she was asked to make by both coach Choi Yung Sok and NOCC secretary-general Vath Chamroeun.

By the end of February last year Seavmey had made that choice, although it did deal a blow to the country’s SEA Games medal prospects.

But as was clear at the Philippine qualifier, Seavmey’s decision to give Singapore a miss and focus on Rio has been vindicated.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all

  • Ex-RFA journos accuse outlet

    Two former Radio Free Asia journalists held a press conference yesterday claiming they are each owed $28,000 by the US-funded radio broadcaster, which shuttered its in-country operations in September amid a government crackdown on independent media. The journalists, Sok Ratha and Ouk Savborey, maintained they organised