Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cambodian Space Project’s rescue landing


Cambodian Space Project’s rescue landing

Cambodian Space Project’s rescue landing

120622_08a

Street children began returning for free meals at a venue operted by Buckhunger near the Russian Market this week. It was forced to close last month after running out of cash, but has re-opened with new sponsors. Photograph: Photo Supplied

Buckhunger, the non-profit that had to stop providing free lunches to impoverished children living around the Russian Market after running out of cash last month, is bouncing back with a bit of help from, among others, the band the Cambodian Space Project.

The NGO closed in early May when its founder Johnny Philips ran out of cash after providing about 32,000 free lunches to children since last December. It re-opened on Father’s Day after receiving a donation from a father and son in Singapore, and this Sunday the Cambodian Space Project will perform at a street party to raise more funds for the project.

“I am thrilled,” Philips told 7Days. “This is a project that I and a good deal of others believe in and feel needs to exist because of the good it does for so many with such a small amount of resources,” he said, adding that with “only a little input and we can do so much good”.

Julien Poulson, founder of Cambodian Space Project, was equally enthusiastic. “The band feels strongly about people giving to others,” he said, explaining that after reading about Buckhunger’s closure he decided a street party would be a good way to lend a hand. “Bands are good at making a noise so I called [Philips] with the idea of a street party to draw some people along and direct some more attention to the work he is doing.”

Philips said that since the re-opening, children began returning slowly. “The first day was only 15, [but] keep in mind that after being closed for six weeks they lost faith in us,” he explained. By Tuesday, however, there were 60. “Food news travels fast with street kids.”

Loss of trust could also hinder donors, but Philips says he’s adjusted his strategy and believes the world is full of pent up generosity. “I feel the issue so far may have been trust in us. Once people actually see what we do they are quite excited to support us, and what makes us very unusual is that there is no waste, no fluff, no extravagance. We take a very few dollars and turn them into to hundreds of meals that make hundreds of kids content with a clean safe place to eat, be with their peers and have a full stomach. Buckhunger works.”

“We feed three kids for US$1,” he noted.

He’s also looking towards a sponsorship model rather than relying in individual donations. “The sponsors I am most interested in however are those that deal with food such as super markets and wholesalers, which have an obvious interest as the kids will become customers in later life and entities like Cambodian Space Project that has a particular message that they are conveying, but also believe in what they are saying and sharing,” he said.

Philips said the closure of the Buckhunger left him severely depressed but also taught him a few lessons. “Even if you do have a strategic plan in place you are probably going to have to change it,” he said. “I’m a veteran restaurateur but am new to the charity world and have learned that having a big heart means you better have a whole lot of money or be willing to alter your methods and have a whole lot of money. Our recent reopening is a refocused and streamlined operation that does more with a good deal less than before, but you know, it still takes money to buy food, pay rent and water, no matter what the strategy.”

Philips says Buckhunger’s future lies in the public’s realisation that “poor hungry kids deserve to get a good meal at least once a day without begging, without stealing, without humiliating themselves”.

Sunday’s street party takes place from 3pm to 7pm at #250L, Street 460 (at the intersection with St 105) Sponsors include SABAY Entertainment, Wine Warehouse, VTV, Hungrygowhere.com, Equinox and private donors. For more information visit www.buckhunger.com.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a