Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Boeung Kak land talks fail

Boeung Kak land talks fail

Boeung Kak land talks fail

Following negotiations yesterday with Phnom Penh Governor Pa Socheatvong, representatives of 12 Boeung Kak community families complained that City Hall was not offering them nearly enough land to replace what had previously been taken from them.

The negotiations took place a day after Hong Sokkheng, rumoured to be the 51-year-old sister of a high-ranking Cambodian People’s Party member, said she would accept an offer of far less land than that which was taken from her in 2010.

However, after other Boeung Kak families yesterday complained about being offered insufficient land, Sokkheng said she would support those families in solidarity.

“We are the real victims, and we should have been offered a proper solution,” said Ly Nary, a member of one of the 12 families who negotiated with the municipality yesterday. “Phnom Penh municipal authorities should not use this solution policy, which seems to pressure and coerce us into taking a deal.”

Chinese-owned company Shukaku Inc destroyed about 3,600 square metres of her land by flooding it and inundating it with sand in 2010, Nary said.

During yesterday’s meeting, City Hall offered to give the 12 families land plots that amounted to about 30 per cent of the land each had lost.

Sen Touch, 45, who was also involved in negotiations, said that Shukaku’s land grabbing in order to build modern apartments in the area represented “social injustice”.

“I am very disappointed that Pa Socheatvong said that he has no land to offer us, when thousands of square metres of our land were grabbed by the company without any solution,” Touch said.

“Buildings are constructed on our land, but where is the justice for us?”

Sokkheng yesterday said that although she had previously agreed to accept a piece of land 8,580 square metres less than what she previously owned, she will now demand a better deal.

MOST VIEWED

  • No word on state of emergency

    The National Assembly (NA) said it will postpone all unnecessary meetings in line with guidance from the Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) amid the Covid-19 pandemic. However, it did not say when or how it will debate the “state of emergency”

  • Many in limbo as tension heightens

    As the Kingdom restricts travel and prepares for a state of emergency, some foreigners in Cambodia are scrambling for a way home. Foreign embassies in Phnom Penh are making efforts to get their citizens out, but cancelled flights have become common due to the coronavirus

  • State of emergency draft law set for NA

    A draft law aiming to place the Kingdom in a state of emergency amid the Covid-19 pandemic is set for a debate at the National Assembly (NA) after going through the Council of Ministers’ Standing Committee meeting led by Prime Minister Hun Sen on Tuesday.

  • NA, Senate set for bill on ‘emergency’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested the Senate to convene an extraordinary meeting to review the draft law that aims to put the Kingdom in a state of emergency after the bill reached the National Assembly (NA) on Friday. The draft law, which was approved

  • Hun Sen, ministers, officials donate salaries in virus fight

    Prime Minister Hun Sen and other senior government officials have decided to donate their salaries to the National Committee for Combating Covid-19 in support of the ongoing battle against the coronavirus. Hun Sen announced in an April 1 letter that because the Covid-19 situation in Cambodia

  • Economic growth to shrink to 2.3% in 2020, ADB says

    The Asian Development Bank (ABD) has slashed Cambodia’s 2020 gross domestic product (GDP) growth to 2.3 per cent from its initial 6.8 per cent forecast due to the slowdown in major economies and China and reduced access to export markets. However, growth is projected to trend upwards