Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Airport in Sihanoukville gets a major facelift

Airport in Sihanoukville gets a major facelift

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The ceremony hold in front of its new passenger terminal.

Airport in Sihanoukville gets a major facelift

Sihanoukville International Airport is set to see higher passenger arrivals, thanks to the refurbishment of its passenger terminal, Cambodia Airports announced.

In a press release on Wednesday, the operator of the Kingdom’s three airports said the refurbishment is in preparation for an increasing number of passenger flights arriving at the coastal destination.

Nicolas Notebaert, president of VINCI Airports, Cambodia Airports’ parent company, said the extension and renovation of the terminal is part of an ambitious development program to anticipate the growth of passenger traffic over the next five years.

“We are taking a new step in our journey to develop Sihanoukville’s airport so that it contributes to unlocking the economic, touristic and social growth potential of the Kingdom’s entire seaside,” he said at the launch.

The beach town’s airport welcomed 338,000 passengers last year, a sharp growth of 115 percent compared to 2016.

The renovation makes the airport 80 percent larger – now totalling 4,800 square metres.

More check-in areas, boarding lounges and baggage claim zones have been added in addition to equipment comprising a new baggage handling system.

Cambodia Airports also said a project would soon be launched to extend its single runway by 800 metres. After completion, the 3.3km strip will accommodate larger aircraft from more distant markets in Asia.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will