Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ASEAN infrastructure fund on track for May

ASEAN infrastructure fund on track for May

ASEAN infrastructure fund on track for May

The region’s finance ministers on Friday set a May launch date for the ASEAN Infrastructure Fund (AIF), a financing project expected to lend as much as US$4 billion to member countries through 2020.

Member countries signed a shareholder agreement for the AIF, with the intention of fully establishing the fund at a meeting to be held in Manila in May, Minister of Economy and Finance Keat Chhon said at a press conference for the ASEAN Finance Ministers’ Meeting, held in Phnom Penh last week.

“This will strongly demonstrate the strength, solidarity and consensus of ASEAN towards sustaining growth, facilitating the physical connectivity, and narrowing the infrastructure development gap in ASEAN,” he said, announcing the results of the meeting.

The AIF was first announced last September as a partnership with the Asian Development Bank, with the aim of providing financing to ASEAN countries in need of infrastructure development, according to an ADB statement at the time.

The fund was started with an initial equity contribution of $485.2 million, with $335.2 million coming from nine ASEAN members and the remaining $150 million provided by ADB, the statement said.

ADB in its September statement said the Fund’s total lending commitment through 2020 was expected to be about $4 billion, leveraging more than $13 billion in infrastructure financing by the end of the decade.

ASEAN countries would need about $60 billion a year over the next 10 years to meet infrastructure demand, the ADB said at the time.

Speaking at the opening the ministers’ meeting, Prime Minister Hun Sen called for the mobilisation of all available resources to bolster the region’s intercountry connectivity.

“It is important to ensure that the less-developed ASEAN members have appropriate access to new financing arrangements to meet their development needs and integration into the region,” he said.

Meanwhile, Keat Chhon noted on Friday that the ministers had agreed to push forward with the so-called Chang Mai Initiative.

To contact the reporter on this story: May Kunmakara at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman