Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Battle of 5G phones heats up in China

Battle of 5G phones heats up in China

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The 5G race heats up, fueled by the recent Huawei ban by the US. AFP

Battle of 5G phones heats up in China

The battle of China’s 5G smartphone market has intensified with Huawei Technologies Co’s domestic unveiling of its first commercial model powered by fifth-generation technology on Friday.

Mate 20X is the first 5G smartphone model that has been approved by China’s telecom industry regulator to connect to the network. It was approved in late-June, followed by a 5G model by its rival ZTE Corp that was approved this month. ZTE Corp on Tuesday said its 5G smartphone was available to order domestically.

Analysts said the Huawei move is part of the tech giant’s broader push to quickly commercialise the superfast technology and it highlights the stiff competition as companies scramble to offer the cutting-edge gadgets.

He Gang, president of Huawei’s consumer business group, said Mate 20X is the world’s first model to support both stand-alone and non-stand-alone 5G networks, signifying wider use scenarios than rival products that support only non-stand-alone 5G networks. Non-stand-alone networks still rely on existing 4G infrastructure for some functions.

Ma Xin, an analyst at the China Academy of Information and Communications Technology, said the peak download speed of Huawei’s 5G model can hit 1,850 megabits per second in lab tests, the fastest speed reported so far.

It also performs very well in supporting cloud gaming on smartphones, allowing consumers to play high-definition, sophisticated games requiring big computing capability, traditionally available only on personal computers, Ma said.

Mate 20X comes with a 7.2-inch screen perfect for gamers and entertainment bingers, Huawei said. The model is priced at 6,199 yuan ($900) in China, far lower than industry experts’ forecasts, which held that the first 5G models would run about 10,000 yuan due to high production costs.

Huawei has strong capabilities in developing in-house chips and integrating industrial resources, allowing the Shenzhen-based company to significantly lower the price, He said.

“Our price will set the tone for 5G smartphones in the China market. I believe, in the second half of this year, flagship smartphones of most smartphone companies will be 5G-enabled, which will drive the price to quickly move closer to that of 4G products,” He said.

ZTE’s 5G smartphone starts at 4,999 yuan, but analysts said its model supports only non-stand-alone networks. Smartphone makers Oppo and Vivo are also scheduled to release their 5G models in China in the third quarter.

Xiang Ligang, director-general of the Information Consumption Alliance, said smartphone vendors are adopting an aggressive pricing strategy to appeal to early adopters of 5G and popularise its use.

Shipments of 5G smartphones are expected to hit 6.7 million units globally this year, according to market research company International Data Corp. CHINA DAILY

MOST VIEWED

  • School reopening to be postponed until November

    Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Hun Sen requesting a delay of school reopening across the Kingdom until November, when the new academic year begins. In his letter, Chuon Naron said the postponement is warranted to avoid the new

  • Foreigners in Kingdom must now register in FPCS system

    The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Immigration (GDI) announced that it would not grant visa extensions to foreigners staying in Cambodia if their names are not listed on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by July 1. Foreign nationals can register in the

  • Covid-19 at ‘alarming rate’, health ministry says

    The Covid-19 risk level for individual transmission is at an “alarming rate” in the Kingdom and its probability is “not low”, warned Health Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine. “Cambodia’s coronavirus scenario is classified as being at an early stage of the pandemic because of ongoing

  • Mandatory quarantine for 30,000 workers begins

    Some of the roughly 30,000 workers from factories and enterprises across the Kingdom who went on leave during Khmer New Year began their government-imposed 14-day quarantine on Monday. Speaking at a press conference while visiting workers at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone on Monday, Ministry

  • Unemployed to get $40 per month

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts. This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers

  • Gov’t travel ban flouted

    While the majority of Cambodians have paid heed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s order to stay put and not travel during the Khmer New Year – the holidays of which were also postponed – several hundred have left Phnom Penh nonetheless. They have allegedly breached provincial

  • G20 energy ministers struggle to finalise oil output cuts

    Top oil producers struggled to finalise production cuts during a virtual summit held by Group of 20 (G20) energy ministers on Friday, despite US President Donald Trump’s mediation efforts to end a standoff with Mexico. The final G20 communique appeared to gloss over simmering divisions

  • Kingdom revises travel restriction order

    The government on Friday eased the district and provincial border restrictions issued on Thursday. People are now allowed to cross districts within their provinces. Phnom Penh and Kandal province are to be treated as a single region where people are allowed to travel freely. In

  • Private schools struggling

    The Cambodian Higher Education Association has claimed that 113 private educational establishments are facing bankruptcy because of their inability to pay rent and staff salaries in light of nationwide school closures caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. It said the financial trouble started when the Ministry of

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,