Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Beeline officials mum on sale buzz

Beeline officials mum on sale buzz

Beeline officials mum on sale buzz

Questions remained yesterday about the fate of mobile operator Beeline Cambodia following the sale of parent company Vimpelcom’s Vietnamese assets earlier in the week.

Despite a report on Tuesday in the Russian newspaper Kommersant that sources close to Vimpelcom’s shareholders had said the sale of Cambodian operations was under consideration, company officials declined to comment on the possibility of such a transaction.

Beeline Cambodia general manager Gael Campan referred questions to senior management at Vimpelcom headquarters in Amsterdam.

Vimpelcom group director of communications Bobby Leach was not immediately available for comment yesterday.

He told the Post on Tuesday it was “too early to tell” what would happen with Beeline in the Kingdom.

But Marc Einstein, an independent telecoms analyst based in Tokyo, said  he assumed a sale was “imminent”.

“They have finally realised that they messed up. They went into a market that was way too competitive  . . .  and it didn’t work,” he said.

Einstein predicted a domestic player would buy Beeline, though he questioned the value of the company’s subscriber base.

The Cambodian market is known for its high customer churn rate, he said.

“Do we have to buy these customers or do we hold a strong promotion and get them ourselves?” Einstein said, referring to questions companies would ask before considering an aquisition.

Beeline had about 630,000 subscribers as of November, according to figures obtained by the Post.

To contact the reporter on this story: Tom Brennan at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges