Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Brazil central bank cuts interest rate

Brazil central bank cuts interest rate

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro delivers a speech in Brasilia on July. AFP

Brazil central bank cuts interest rate

Brazil's central bank cut its benchmark interest rate on Wednesday to a new record low of 4.25 per cent, seeking to boost what it called the “gradual recovery” of Latin America’s largest economy.

The quarter-point cut, in line with market expectations, was decided unanimously by the bank’s monetary policy committee, it said in a statement.

It was the fifth straight decrease since July 2019. But the bank indicated the loosening cycle was coming to an end.

“The Monetary Policy Committee understands that the current stage of the economic cycle demands caution,” it said.

“The Committee sees interrupting the monetary loosening cycle as appropriate. It emphasises that its next steps will continue to depend on how economic activity evolves, the risk outlook, and inflation expectations and projections.”

The Brazilian economy is slowly bouncing back from its worst-ever recession, which ended in 2017 after two years. The government is currently forecasting growth of 2.4 per cent this year, double the estimate for 2019.

But although far-right President Jair Bolsonaro’s government has won plaudits from the business world for pushing through long-sought economic reforms, clouds linger.

The deadly new coronavirus outbreak in China – Brazil’s top trading partner – has taken a hit on leading Brazilian exporters, including state oil company Petrobras and mining firm Vale.

Vale’s stock-market value has plunged by around $5.5 billion since January 23.

And statistics released on Tuesday showed Brazil’s industrial output fell by 1.1 per cent last year, after two years of growth.

Brazil’s inflation rate came in at 4.31 per cent for 2019.

Analysts polled by the central bank are forecasting inflation of 3.4 per cent this year, on the lower side of the bank’s target range of four per cent plus or minus 1.5 percentage points.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year