What is CamDEBATE?
The Cambodia International Debate & Public Speaking Championship Series (CamDEBATE) is a premiere platform for professional development in public speaking and debate, cultivating a healthy culture of dialogue and the sharing of different perspectives to promote and foster understanding, friendship and knowledge among youths in Cambodia.
CamDEBATE seeks to facilitatethe open exchange of ideasamong Cambodian students and young professionals, and is committed to encouraging and promotingcivil discourse. Contestants will have the opportunity toengage in a series of exchanges of views in a dynamic atmosphere, from the initial Audition Round to the Final Round. Accordingly, they will explore and acquire extensive knowledge on important local and international issues.
Why participate inCamDEBATE?
CamDEBATEaims to provide:
• a platform to fosterand support the development of problem solving, critical thinking and interpersonal skills among Cambodian students and young professionals
• an opportunity for individuals who wish to engage in debate and public speaking in English to increase their fluency and showcase their proficiency
• an opportunity to develop important skills that benefit participants’ academic journeys, personal development and career prospects
• an occasion to independently learn, research and form opinions on complex topics that will contribute to the development of well-rounded individuals
• a networking opportunity for individuals from different backgrounds and nationalities
Who can compete in CamDEBATE?
CamDEBATE applications are open to all Cambodians residing in Cambodia. The competition is divided into twoage categories:Senior High School and University & Young Professionals.
In the Senior High School category, contestants must be at least 15 yearsof age and studying in Senior High School at the time of registration.
In the University &Young Professionalscategory, contestants must be 25 years of age or below and either studying at university or employed or self-employed at the time of registration.
All CamDEBATE applicants must register and make their payment by 30 April 2019.
Will contestants receive any training during the competition?
Yes. Contestants will participate in useful skills sessions facilitated by experienced mentors from the Australian Centre for Education (ACE) to improve their debate and public speaking skills. At various stages of the competition, contestants will receive specialisedtraining related to debate and public speaking. Before the Final Round, CamDEBATE finalists will participate in a series of training sessions for one month to prepare them for the Final Round.
What are the prizes for CamDEBATE Champions?
The first winning team in each Debate age category (total: 6 winners) and the top 2 winners in eachPublic Speaking age category (total: 4 winners) will be awarded a 2 week study tour experience to the UKand other prizes:trophies, medals, scholarships to study at ACE, Winner’s Certificates,Winner’s Edition T-shirts and gift packs.
How can applicants register for CamDEBATE?
Registration for the Annual CamDEBATE Series is now open and the deadline to register is30 April 2019. To register, interested contestants must follow the following steps:
• Visit any IDP/ACE office in either Phnom Penh or Siem Reap
• Make a payment ($20 USD) at any IDP/ACE office by 30 April 2019
• Contestants may apply for both the Debate and Public Speaking categories
• For the Debate category, contestants register as an individual and may indicate their team members on their registration form
• If contestants fail the Audition Round or drop out of the competition before the Audition Round, their registration fee will be fully refunded
For more information, go to: www.camdebate.org
The Annual CamDEBATE Series
Hosted by IDP Education (Cambodia)