Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Capital port delayed until early next year

Capital port delayed until early next year

Capital port delayed until early next year

Quashing hopes of opening the Phnom Penh Port for the high trade season that begins in July, the port’s director said the pace of construction would push the official launch date into next year.

If the speed of construction was inceased in order to open before the high season, there could be an impact on the quality of operations later, port general director Hei Bavy said.

He said the actual launch would be at the end of this year or early next year.

The delay would not have an impact on business because the capacity of the existing facilities had been enlarged in preparation, Hei Bavy said.

The US$28 million port, in the Keansvay district of Kandal province, will be able to load 120,000 containers (TEUs) a year.

Construction began in early 2010 and it was 90 per cent completed, Hei Bavy said.

Nor would the delay affect the transportation of goods in Cambodia because of the existing port and the Sihanoukville port, Sin Channy, the director-general of Linehaul Express, said yesterday.

Sin Channy said he supported the delay.

The Cambodia Freight Forwarders Association has 27 member companies that use the Phnom Penh Port for as much as 30 per cent of their transportation.

Cargo via the Phnom Penh Port increased by 11 per cent in 2012 to 17,386 TEUs from 15,652 TEUs last year, according to port statistics.

To contact the reporter on this story: Sieam Bunthy at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Quarantine still a must for all arrivals, in next Covid chapter

    Since early May, an average of five to 10 Cambodian people have died from Covid-19 a day with many others testing positive amid the ongoing community outbreak. At the same time, however, hundreds of patients also recovered a day. The first Covid-19 case in Cambodia was

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • First commercial gold mine online

    Australian miner Renaissance Minerals (Cambodia) Ltd on June 21 began the commercial operation of its $120 million Okvau Gold Project in the northeastern province of Mondulkiri, becoming the Kingdom’s first gold producer. Located in the Okvau area in southwestern Mondulkiri province’s Keo Seima district, the

  • Jab drive heading to 5 provinces

    The government is set to vaccinate more than 1.2 million people in five provinces after finishing with Phnom Penh and neighbouring Kandal in an ongoing campaign administered by the ministries of Health and National Defence. The five provinces are Preah Sihanouk, Kampong Speu, Takeo, Kampong Cham

  • New immigration bill targets illegal foreigners in Kingdom

    General Department of Immigration (GDI) officials are discussing revisions to the new draft law on immigration to prevent foreigners from entering Cambodia illegally and to supervise those living in the Kingdom more effectively. The revisions draw wide support among civil society organisations. GDI director-general Kirth

  • Transport minister requests free trial of Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway

    The Ministry of Public Works and Transport held discussions with the company constructing the expressway from Phnom Penh to Preah Sihanouk province to allow drivers to test the road free of charge before an official toll is set. While inspecting the progress of its construction