Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CDC approves Royal Group’s 700MW coal-fired power plant

CDC approves Royal Group’s 700MW coal-fired power plant

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Once online in 2023 or 2024, Botum Sakor Energy’s Koh Koh-based coal-fired power station will deliver 700MW of electricity. Hong Menea

CDC approves Royal Group’s 700MW coal-fired power plant

The Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) on December 8 approved Botum Sakor Energy Co Ltd’s (BSE’s) more-than-$1 billion 700MW coal-fired power station in Koh Kong province’s southwestern Botum Sakor district.

Based in Thma Sar commune’s Chamlang Ko village, the CDC noted that the facility will provide 360 jobs for locals.

BSE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Kingdom’s largest conglomerate, Royal Group of Companies Ltd.

“This project will help create jobs and enhance the livelihoods of Cambodians,” the company said, according to the minutes of a July 28 meeting between the Royal Group and 58 families affected by the development.

According to a sub-decree issued on August 6, the government granted 168ha in Botum Sakor National Park in Koh Kong to the Royal Group to build the power station.

The project will require $1.3442 billion in capital investment and will be online in 2023 or 2024. Of that, 30 per cent will come from direct capital and 70 per cent will be from bank loans, the sub-decree said. The project will be developed under a 35-year build, own, operate (BOO) model.

Deputy provincial governor Sok Sothy told The Post on December 9 that BSE has been clearing land in preparation for construction work, and that a social impact assessment was nearing completion.

Having been given the nod by the CDC, he said the company will begin construction soon.

He voiced his confidence that the plant would scale up energy efficiency and security in the coastal province, which he pointed out had untold tourism potential.

“Shoring up the electricity infrastructure will help entice investment to Cambodia and push the pedal to the metal and accelerate provincial development,” he said.

Last month, BSE struck an engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract with Shenzhen-listed Sinosteel Engineering & Technology for the plant, according to Shanghai-based financial news portal Yicai Global.

SET is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Beijing-based state-owned enterprise Sinosteel Corp.

As outlined in the EPC contract, Yicai Global said, once it secures payment, SET will present the design and will procure and supply the equipment and materials, as well as provide construction, installation and commissioning services.

Citing an SET statement, the news portal said the total contract value is to the tune of about $1.1 billion.

The contract covers the construction of two new 350MW engine units and ancillary generation and transmission facilities, as well as a dedicated coal terminal, it said.

Construction of the first unit is scheduled to be completed within 36 months of breaking ground, with the second unit slated to be finished 12 months later, it added.

Victor Jona, director-general of the Ministry of Mines and Energy’s General Department of Energy, told The Post in August that the government needs to diversify energy production to include other sources and ensure stable electricity supply in Cambodia.

He said that without exception, the government assumes the ultimate responsibility in reviewing the socio-environmental impact of every development project in the power sector.

“All in all, we need to expand our energy portfolio to include a plethora of sources, inter alia, hydropower, coal and solar to ensure the supply to consumers, be they citizens, industries, cottage industries or service providers,” Jona said.

On the Shenzhen Stock Exchange, SET’s share price fell 0.07 yuan (1.07 US cents) or 1.68 per cent to close at 4.10 yuan on December 9 for a market capitalisation of 5.15 billion yuan, with 5.60 million shares traded.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants