Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chinese firm to build new factory in Kampot

Chinese firm to build new factory in Kampot

Chinese firm to build new factory in Kampot

China’s largest heavy machinery manufacturer has been awarded a $262 million contract to build a cement factory in the southwestern province of Kampot, according to an official at the Ministry of Mines and Energy.

CITIC Heavy Industries secured an engineering, procurement and construction contract from the joint venture between Thai cement firm Siam City Cement and Cambodian-owned Chip Mong Group. The two firms announced in September that they will build a 1.5-million-tonne cement factory to primarily supply the local market.

Meng Saktheara, secretary of state at the Ministry of Mines and Energy, told the Post yesterday that the agreement was signed on Saturday, in the presence of Mines and Energy Minister Suy Sem, and construction was expected to start soon.

Once completed and production begins, Saktheara said the cement factory will locally source materials, such as limestone, with the balance being imported from overseas.

The new factory, he added, will cater to the demands of the local market, as well as create jobs for local people.

“This factory will reduce the amount of products imported into the country, as well as help to boost competition in local market, provide capacity to export and compete with the regional market,” he said.

Siam City Cement in September approved a 40-per-cent stake in the joint venture company Chip Mong Insee Cement Corporation, which has a registered capital of $150 million.

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • Mysterious century-old structure found at bottom of Angkor pond

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a mysterious 1,000-year-old structure of a wooden building at the bottom of a pond after the Angkor Wat temple’s conservation team completed restoring its northern cave. The deputy director at ANA’s Angkor International Research and Documentation

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for