Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chinese firm inks deal with SNTP on electricity supply in Preah Sihanouk

Chinese firm inks deal with SNTP on electricity supply in Preah Sihanouk

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Chinese firm has signed a cooperation agreement with Cambodia’s SNTP Company on providing electricity in Preah Sihanouk province. Heng Chivoan

Chinese firm inks deal with SNTP on electricity supply in Preah Sihanouk

The China Machine-Building International Corporation (CMIC) – affiliated to Sinomach subsidiary CNEG – has signed a cooperation agreement with Cambodia’s SNTP Company on providing electricity in Preah Sihanouk province, according to a company press release.

Lu Wenjun, CNEG chairman, said that the agreement on a grid substation and transmission line project in Sihanoukville was signed last week in the Chinese capital Beijing.

He promised that CMIC will put the best technology and management into the project to ensure smooth progress.

“The project will greatly relieve local power shortages and further boost the kingdom’s economic development as well,” said Mr Lu.

According to the press release, the project will include the construction of two new Gas Insulated Substations, a new 27km 230kV and 115kV transmission line, as well as the expansion of a current substation.

However, the company did not disclose any details on the project’s timeline, value or its exact location.

The influx of Chinese investors in Sihnaoukville has boosted electric power demand in the province in recent years.

Ministry of Mines and Energy Spokesman Victor Jona told The Post that this project will help meet rising electricity demands in the province.

“This project will help to fulfill increase demand of investors,” he said.

According to Jona, the project will connect to a transmission line from the coal-fired power plant in the province’s Stueng Hav district.

“The grid substation will transmit electric power from the plant to supply the whole province,” he said.

Kheang Phearum, Preah Sihanouk provincial spokesman, said the project will benefit 220,000 people in the province, including Chinese investors.

“If electric supply meets demand, it’s more attractive for investors to come to our province,” he said.

Currently there are two coal power plants operating in the province. One is operated by Cambodia International Investment Development Group and another by Malaysia’s Leader Universal Holdings.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting