Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chinese gaming firms hope to bounce back next year

Chinese gaming firms hope to bounce back next year

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Performers impersonate gaming characters at TGC2017, an annual gala for the gaming industry held by Tencent, in Chengdu, Sichuan province. Yuan Kejia/China Daily

Chinese gaming firms hope to bounce back next year

The Chinese government has resumed issuing approvals for gaming titles after a nine-month freeze.

Analysts interpreted the move as a positive for the world’s largest gaming market.

A batch of games has been reviewed and licences will be issued soon, according to Feng Shixin, deputy director at the Publicity Department’s copyright bureau, Central Committee of the Communist Party of China.

“The first group of games has been reviewed. We will hurry up and keep reviewing and issuing publication numbers. Owing to the large number of games waiting to be reviewed, it will take a while to complete the work,” Feng said on Friday at an annual gaming conference in Haikou, Hainan province.

His remarks caused shares of Chinese mainland online gaming giant Tencent Holdings Ltd to soar over four per cent on the Hong Kong stock exchange on Friday.

The jump was attributed to the expectation that Tencent’s revenues from gaming will gradually pick up in the future.

The company called the measure “a major boon to the Chinese gaming industry”.

In a statement, it said the measure “confirms the authorities’ determination to have active management over the industry”, and sets the direction for the future development of the cultural industry.

Loosening the grip

Sinolink Securities researcher Pei Pei in a recent report said the gaming industry is still under tight regulatory controls. There is a cap on the number of games that can be released in the market and minors are not allowed to spend too much time and money playing games.

Yet, the gaming market may post a moderate recovery, not explosive growth, next year, Pei said.

“The market will become extremely competitive in the following three months as we expect at least 2,000 games will be approved for market release,” Pei said.

The approval freeze followed a market shake-up early this year, after concerns emerged that gaming was causing social problems like addiction, and wasting of time and money among youth. The freeze had dramatically slowed the local gaming market.

China’s gaming industry is suffering its slowest revenue growth in a decade, as local regulators had tightened their grip on a market. Experts think the market is reaching a saturation point.

Buoyed by 626 million Chinese players, the gaming market grew by 5.3 per cent year-on-year to more than 214 billion yuan ($31 billion) this year, compared to the 23 per cent year-on-year increase last year, said a recent industry report.

The report is backed by three key players – the Game Publishers Association Publications Committee, which is part of the China Audio-Video and Digital Publishing Association; gaming database Gamma Data Corp; and International Data Corp.

The report noted that mobile gaming accounted for more than 60 per cent of total game sales, playing an important role in the overall gaming market.

Gamma Data Crop founder and chief analyst Wang Xu said as the government tightened its control over video games with strict policies, the gaming industry sought to adapt to the situation.

“As the demographic dividend is fading in China, gaming developers need to seek new ways of expansion. And competition is getting fiercer,” Wang said.

According to the report, overseas markets have become a key source of income for Chinese gaming companies. This year, Chinese developers have earned $9.59 billion in their self-designed online games in the overseas market, up 15.8 per cent year-on-year.

The industry report stated that more and more female gamers in China are spending money to play online. They have become a key consumer group. Female gamers’ passion has created a market worth 49 billion yuan this year, with almost 14 per cent growth year-on-year. China Daily/ANN

MOST VIEWED

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • US, Cambodia pledge to strengthen military ties

    The US on Tuesday pledged to help train military officers, particularly Cambodia’s blue helmet troops deployed for UN’s peacekeeping operations. The pledge was made during a meeting between US ambassador Patrick Murphy and Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) commander-in-chief General Vong Pisen. Further

  • Sokha lodges an appeal over treason case reaching court

    Kem Sokha, the president of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), has appealed against the decision to send his treason case to trial. Sokha’s legal team said their client was not satisfied with the decision of a Phnom Penh Municipal Court investigating

  • Rights Day forum denied in Sihanoukville

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration last Saturday denied the request of land communities for a public location in the province to celebrate International Human Rights Day 2019 as the administration had already held forums to discuss land issues. However, the land community representatives said they would

  • Gov’t approves $9B worth of building projects in 2019

    The government has approved more than $9 billion this year for capital investment in the construction sector, a nearly 80 per cent increase on last year, with most of the growth coming from projects in Sihanoukville, according to Minister of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction Chea

  • King rescinds oknha honorific of 46 National Police officials

    The oknha titles of 46 National Police officials with the rank of general, as well as senior officials in the ministries of Interior and National Defence, will be withdrawn following a royal decree from King Norodom Sihamoni. National Police spokesman Chhay Kim Khoeun told The Post