Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chinese province seeks closer Asean region ties

Chinese province seeks closer Asean region ties

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Asean-based journalists attend the opening ceremony for the ‘Asean 10 Nations Mainstream Media’ junket in Anhui, China. Photo Supplied

Chinese province seeks closer Asean region ties

Bilateral trade between China’s Anhui province and the 10 member states of Asean reached $2.05 billion in the first four months – up 24 percent compared with the same period last year, according to figures from the Chinese province.

Zheng Mingwu, the chief information director of Anhui, said this when speaking at the launching ceremony of the “Asean 10 Nations Mainstream Media and China’s Central Leading Overseas-targeted Media: Touring Anhui” media junket in Hefei, the capital of China’s Anhui province.

He said trade will only increase as China continues to push its chief economic-connectivity strategy.

“With the vigorous implementation of the Belt and Road Initiative, the relationship between Anhui and Asean has become increasingly co-beneficial”, he said.

Trade between Asean and Anhui at $5.95 billion last year, an increase of 18 percent from 2016. There are 91 Chinese enterprises from Anhui operating in Asean countries, with a total investment of $390 million.

Foreign direct investment from Asean investor countries totalled $720 million last year, an increase of 7.5 percent from 2016, according to the figures provided.

Vithit Powattanasuk, director of Information and Public Relations, Asean-China Center, which is an inter-organisation co-founded by 10 Asean member states and China, said, with their geographical proximity and cultural affinity, Asean and China are “good neighbours and partners”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants