Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Club Med plans to launch Cambodia resort in 3 years

Club Med plans to launch Cambodia resort in 3 years

Club Med plans to launch Cambodia resort in 3 years


Regional representative for Europe’s largest resort company says it is eyeing Southeast Asian partners, including in Cambodia, to boost regional presence

Photo by: Tracey Shelton

Club Med says it has looked at adding new destinations in Cambodia, Vietnam and China to add to its six resorts in Asia, with a Cambodia resort expected within the next three years.

CLUB Mediterranee SA (Club Med), Europe's largest resort company, plans to open a resort in Cambodia within the next three years, it said on Monday.

Gloria Chang, spokesperson for Club Med Asia Pacific, said the company was looking to developing new destinations in Asia while reinforcing its Southeast Asian presence.

"Cambodia is a pioneer destination for Club Med and presents ... very good potential for a great tropical getaway. The quality of the beaches, the warm Gulf of Thailand waters, the culture, the fabulous site of Angkor Wat are part of key factors," she said, refusing to elaborate on the exact nature of a proposed investment in the Kingdom, except to say that a Cambodia resort was planned within three years.

"Club Med has always been very selective," she said.

The group specialises in luxury holiday packages and has 80 resorts worldwide, including six in Asia.

Michel Wolfovski, Club Med's chief financial officer, told Bloomberg last week that the Paris-based travel company was "in talks" with potential investors in Cambodia as well as those in Vietnam and China.

Cambodia is a pioneer destination for Club Med and presents … very good potential.

In a separate interview, CEO Henri d'Estaing said: "We would welcome especially a partner from Southeast Asia, where we have a great potential."

Club Med CEO Henri d'Estaing. BLOOMBERG

However, neither the company itself nor travel sector sources in Cambodia could confirm whether Club Med had made contact with the Kingdom regarding a proposed resort.

Ho Vandy, co-chair of the Tourism Working Group and head of the Steering Committee of the Cambodian Association of Tourism Agencies, said Monday there had been no such contact as yet.

"But we welcome resort development because it can boost the tourism industry.... Currently the government also urges such development," he said.

The government has offered more than 10 islands as concessions to foreign and local investors to develop resorts, he said, some of which are under construction.

"Our current level of resort development is not enough to attract tourists, we still need more in order to offer greater variety and attractive destinations - there is so much potential for the tourism industry," Ho Vandy said.

The director of the Cambodian Hotel Association, Luu Meng, said Monday he was not aware of the European company planning to cooperate with Cambodian investors on a new resort investment.

The Ministry of Tourism was not available for comment on Monday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • EU timber deal in firing line

    A committee of more than 20 national and international organisations filed a petition to the EU on October 10 to prevent it from signing a timber trade agreement with Vietnam, noting that the deal would be disastrous to the Kingdom’s forests. The petition claims Vietnamese timber

  • Kim Sok to keep up fight ‘for change’ from Finland

    Kim Sok, wanted by the Kingdom’s authorities for defaming the government, reiterated on Sunday his determination to continue helping to make “a real change” to Cambodian politics after receiving asylum in Finland, even as a government spokesman mocked the political analyst over the development.

  • PM: Programme to recover Vietnam War missing back on

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced the resumption of the MIA programme to recover the remains of American service personnel missing after action on Cambodian soil during the Vietnam War. The programme was suspended for more than a year after the US government imposed visa