Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Committee unaffected by Kith Meng’s appeal

Committee unaffected by Kith Meng’s appeal

Committee unaffected by Kith Meng’s appeal

Cambodian tycoon Kith Meng’s Royal Group failed to persuade a high-level meeting of government and Preah Sihanouk officials to resume construction of a 40-metre port at Otres Beach, and will instead have to explore the use of other locations along the coastline.

The conglomerate, which was ordered on January 20 by the National Committee for Cambodia Coastal Management and Development to cease construction of the jetty for violating costal development guidelines and for lack of a permit, will now study the cost of temporarily using facilities at the Sihanoukville Autonomous Port to assist its development activities on Koh Rong island.

“The result of the meeting was to explore the cost of using the some parts of Sihanoukville port to transport construction material to serve the Koh Rong development,” said Pen Sophal, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management.

The meeting, held on Friday, was attended by Minister of Land Management Im Chhum Lim, Tourism Minister Thong Khon, Council for Development of Cambodia’s secretary general Sok Chenda Sophea and other provincial officials.

Sophal added that it was suggested that Royal Group explore the possibility of using two other locations to build their port – Tomnop Roloak commune in Stung Hav district or Koh Preap near the international port.

“After the meeting, Royal Group will follow the government’s policy and will also seek new locations for construction of the port,” he added.

However, Sophal could not confirm who will be tasked with demolishing the existing port or if Royal Group would be liable for any monetary compensation.

Y Sokleng, city governor for Sihanoukville, said that while Royal Group was insistent on building the port at its current location, the national committee overlooking coastal management did not want any construction on Otres Beach.

He added that Prime Minister Hun Sen will now take a final decision of the conditions for Royal Group’s use of the international port, as well the conglomerate’s request to continue building the temporary port on Otres Beach.

“The committee has decided to not allow him to continue building the port, but he still insists on building it at that location, so we will suggest that the prime minister make that decision.”

Sokleng added that another meeting on beach management would take place today to discuss other illegal constructions in the four coastal provinces.

In 2008, Royal Group was granted a 99-year lease to develop the island off Sihanoukville’s coast and was building the 40 by 15 metre jetty to ferry construction material and passengers to the island.

Last November, the government vowed to crack down on coastal hotels and resorts that restricted public access to beaches or constructed illegal encroachments within 50 metres of the shoreline.

In a Facebook post on January 17, Prime Minister Hun Sen, who visited the city for a holiday late last month, asked local authorities to ensure that there was no illegal construction activity along the beach.

MOST VIEWED

  • Draft law on state of emergency pending finalisation

    Prime Minister Hun Sen will lead a top-level meeting on Tuesdays to review the draft law on imposing a state of emergency. Meantime, he has decided to close all casinos in Cambodia effective April 1. In the press conference after the National Assembly met today, Hun

  • State of emergency on table amid pandemic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen, his deputy prime ministers and legal team will meet on Tuesday to review the draft law on declaring a state of emergency, as Covid-19 cases rose to 107 in the Kingdom on Monday. Speaking at a press conference after a parliament meeting

  • Stranded passengers petition UK for help

    Some 10,521 people have signed an online petition calling on British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and relevant officials to fly nearly 200 passengers out of Cambodia. The petition is targeted at 15,000 people. Most of the passengers are British nationals, who are stranded in Cambodia after airlines cancelled

  • Many in limbo as tension heightens

    As the Kingdom restricts travel and prepares for a state of emergency, some foreigners in Cambodia are scrambling for a way home. Foreign embassies in Phnom Penh are making efforts to get their citizens out, but cancelled flights have become common due to the coronavirus

  • Covid-19 Pandemic: Force majeure and legal consequences

    Is the Covid-19 pandemic considered an event of force majeure? The World Health Organisation declared the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak a pandemic on March 11. Following this declaration, the Ministry of Health and other ministries have taken various legal and administrative measures to prevent the rapid

  • State of emergency draft law set for NA

    A draft law aiming to place the Kingdom in a state of emergency amid the Covid-19 pandemic is set for a debate at the National Assembly (NA) after going through the Council of Ministers’ Standing Committee meeting led by Prime Minister Hun Sen on Tuesday.