Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Deferment payment for mining deal OK’d

Deferment payment for mining deal OK’d

Deferment payment for mining deal OK’d

Renaissance Minerals has negotiated a deferment of a A$10 million (US$9.29 million) payment to OZ Minerals that was part of a deal for OZ’s gold deposit exploratory rights in Mondulkiri province.

Renaissance took ownership of OZ’s exploration licences in May 2012 in a deal that included a payment of $10 million if the reserve at the Okvau gold deposit grew to 1.25 million ounces of gold. In March, Renaissance announced the reserve was near the threshold.

Although Renaissance claims to be “well funded with cash of approximately $5 million”, the deferment would in theory allow it to put the money in the project.

“The gold price has had a bit of a downturn over that period of time [since the project began in May 2012] and also investors’ confidence in gold companies has seen a fairly significant deterioration over that 12 months,” Justin Tremain, Renaissance managing director, said, referring to project challenges.

In exchange for the deferment, OZ, the largest shareholder in Renaissance, will get 15.3 million extra shares. At close yesterday, Renaissance shares fell slightly to A$0.68.

OZ sold rights after years of exploration failed to yield strong results and saw allegations of corruption. In May 2011, OZ was accused of paying $1.1 million to family members of the Ministry of Industry, Mines and Energy.

OZ and local authorities have denied the allegations, but Australian police reportedly re-opened investigations in January.

MOST VIEWED

  • Sneaky simians mob man, snatch Covid-19 samples

    Monkeys mobbed an Indian health worker and made off with coronavirus test blood samples, spreading fears that the stealing simians could spread the pandemic in the local area. Indian authorities often have to grapple with primates snatching food and even mobile phones. After making off

  • Public warned of dengue risks amid rainy season

    Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng has issued an eight-point plan to destroy mosquitoes carrying dengue fever amid the rainy season. In a four-page directive, Bun Heng warned that while the number of dengue cases has dropped sharply compared to last year, it could increase

  • Thirteen charged in UK migrant lorry tragedy

    Thirdteen suspects arrested by French police over the deaths of 39 Vietnamese migrants in a refrigerated lorry in Britain have been charged with people trafficking, a judicial source said on Saturday. Six of the group – mainly Vietnamese and French nationals – were held on Tuesday in the

  • Cambodian Blue Helmet dies of virus

    The last rites for Cambodian Blue Helmet peacekeeper Sar Savy, who died on Friday at 63 from Covid-19 while on a mission in the Republic of Mali, will be held on Wednesday and Thursday at the UN base there. Cambodia’s National Centre for Peacekeeping Forces

  • World Bank donates $15 million in aid

    The World Bank on Friday approved $15 million for a medical training system to help Cambodia equip doctors with more skills before they start work. The budget, which was granted by the International Development Association (IDA), is intended to improve health care services. The World Bank

  • Ministry signs MoU to develop ICT training

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Friday signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with IT Academy STEP Cambodia (STEP) to further develop the Sisters of Code project. The project trains female students in computer programming, and enhances information and communication technology (ICT) textbooks