Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Disney, Fox lawsuit hits Malaysian casino’s shares

Disney, Fox lawsuit hits Malaysian casino’s shares

Disney, Fox lawsuit hits Malaysian casino’s shares

Shares in Malaysian casino operator Genting fell nearly 19 per cent on Tuesday after it sued The Walt Disney Co. and 21st Century Fox for allegedly abandoning a project to build a theme park in the country.

The $1 billion lawsuit, filed in the US District Court in Los Angeles, alleges that Disney and Fox failed to honour a 2013 deal to licence intellectual property, including from Fox animated films like Ice Age and Planet of the Apes, for the theme park outside Kuala Lumpur.

‘Family-friendly’

The suit alleges that Fox was seeking to terminate the contract and that Disney executives were also keen on distancing themselves from the project because the park would be adjacent to a casino and would harm the company’s “family-friendly” image.

Disney and Fox representatives did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Genting Malaysia Berhad (GENM) said in a statement to the local exchange it was claiming damages in excess of $1 billion.

It vowed “to fully enforce its rights” under the deal and “claim for the cost of its investments and consequential and punitive damages”.

“The litigation is not expected to impact GENM’s current business operations,” the company said.

However, investors still sold Genting stocks, which plunged by as much as 18.6 per cent before recovering slightly. They were down 14.72 per cent by mid-afternoon.

Brokerage CGS CIMB Securities described news of the litigation as a “major negative surprise” for the theme park, the opening of which has already been delayed by more than a year.

“Potential legal complications” could also affect the park’s new proposed opening date, scheduled for the first half of next year, it added.

“The plan was for Fox World to be the new centrepiece of Resorts World Genting, GENM’s integrated resort complex in Genting Highlands,” according to the lawsuit.

The suit alleges that Fox had used repeated delays in the project as a reason to cancel the deal and had recently issued a notice of default, requiring the developer to open the park within 30 days, an impossible deadline.

“This is a case about seller’s remorse, first by Fox, and then by Disney, after the latter began the process of acquiring Fox in a deal now expected to close in the first half of next year,” the suit claims.

It adds that Genting was entitled to recoup the more than $750 million it had already invested in the park, along with consequential and punitive damages in excess of $1 billion.

Built on more than 10ha in the Genting Highlands, an idyllic mountain retreat an hour’s drive outside of Kuala Lumpur, the park was to feature more than 25 rides and attractions based on such blockbusters as Ice Age, Life of Pi, Alien and Night at the Museum.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Phnom Penh underpass opens to ease traffic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced a temporary opening of the 488m underpass at the Chaom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district, which was recently completed to connect traffic from National Road 4 to Russian Federation Blvd. The move is to reduce

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial