Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Donaco dumps its new junket operator

Donaco dumps its new junket operator

Donaco dumps its new junket operator

Donaco International Ltd has terminated its junket deal with Macau VIP gaming promoter Heng Sheng Group, saying the arrangement proved too restrictive for the marketing of its flagship Star Vegas Resort and Club in Poipet.

“[The] previously agreed deal with Heng Sheng has now been terminated. Operations were suspended from January 2016,” the ASX-listed casino operator said in a fiscal half-year earnings report yesterday.

Donaco completed its $360 million acquisition of Star Vegas last July. In August it entered a three-year contract with Hang Sheng Group to funnel high-rollers to the casino’s gaming floor and handle customer service.

Joey Lim, managing director of Donaco, told shareholders in November that the junket deal was off to a good start, and a swank new VIP gaming room at Star Vegas earned nearly $700,000 in its first full month of operation.

The company’s earnings report for the six months to December 31 also indicated strong growth of the casino’s VIP segment, with rolling chip turnover increasing 29 per cent compared to a year earlier.

Yet in January – just five months since inking its three-year deal with Hang Sheng – Donaco’s management terminated the contract, claiming it was hindering VIP traffic growth.

“Heng Sheng previously had exclusivity for certain countries and territories, preventing us from working with other junkets,” it said in the earnings report.

Donaco said negotiations with other international junkets were in advanced stages and new deals could result in a significant number of new players visiting Star Vegas in the coming months.

Most importantly, a potential deal with Thai junket operators could open the casino to cross-border VIP traffic – arguably a more natural fit than reliance on the distant Chinese market.

The company said it was considering options to expand its gaming floor into the adjoining 240-room Star Paradise Hotel to accommodate an expected surge in Thai VIP traffic.

In addition to the casino, Donaco operates the Aristo International Hotel in northern Vietnam near the Chinese border.

The company reported casino operating revenue of A$68.8 million (US$49.5 million) for the six months to December 31, with the Star Vegas contributing A$55.5 million and the Aristo recording A$13.4 million.

MOST VIEWED

  • Draft law on state of emergency pending finalisation

    Prime Minister Hun Sen will lead a top-level meeting on Tuesdays to review the draft law on imposing a state of emergency. Meantime, he has decided to close all casinos in Cambodia effective April 1. In the press conference after the National Assembly met today, Hun

  • State of emergency on table amid pandemic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen, his deputy prime ministers and legal team will meet on Tuesday to review the draft law on declaring a state of emergency, as Covid-19 cases rose to 107 in the Kingdom on Monday. Speaking at a press conference after a parliament meeting

  • No word on state of emergency

    The National Assembly (NA) said it will postpone all unnecessary meetings in line with guidance from the Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) amid the Covid-19 pandemic. However, it did not say when or how it will debate the “state of emergency”

  • Many in limbo as tension heightens

    As the Kingdom restricts travel and prepares for a state of emergency, some foreigners in Cambodia are scrambling for a way home. Foreign embassies in Phnom Penh are making efforts to get their citizens out, but cancelled flights have become common due to the coronavirus

  • State of emergency draft law set for NA

    A draft law aiming to place the Kingdom in a state of emergency amid the Covid-19 pandemic is set for a debate at the National Assembly (NA) after going through the Council of Ministers’ Standing Committee meeting led by Prime Minister Hun Sen on Tuesday.

  • Hun Sen, ministers, officials donate salaries in virus fight

    Prime Minister Hun Sen and other senior government officials have decided to donate their salaries to the National Committee for Combating Covid-19 in support of the ongoing battle against the coronavirus. Hun Sen announced in an April 1 letter that because the Covid-19 situation in Cambodia