Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - First milled-rice order destined for China

First milled-rice order destined for China

First milled-rice order destined for China

A 144-tonne shipment of Cambodian fragrant rice will leave Phnom Penh for Fuzhou, China on Saturday, the first Chinese order for the Kingdom’s milled rice after a recent government agreement was reached on Chinese regulation.

Mekong Oryza Trading received the order months earlier, senior manager of business development David Van said yesterday in an email.

“We waited [to announce the order] until both governments agreed on a format on paperwork as we didn’t want to get caught with cargo stuck at Chinese entry ports,” Van said.

He declined to name the Chinese buyer.

Reported regulatory issues have held back Cambodian rice shipments to China for more than a year, experts have said, some of whom maintained that the problem was Chinese red tape, not rice quality.

Rice millers have collected a stack of memoranda of understanding but the pseudo-agreements failed to translate into real trade.

Mega Green Imex Cambodia last week said the company would ship a test run of 240 tonnes of rice to China by the end of June.

Golden Rice president Sok Hach said his company sent a 48-tonne test run earlier in the year but failed to pass regulatory tests in the southern Chinese port of Shenzhen.

The China Certification & Inspection Group will inspect the rice at Cavifood rice mill in the capital’s Russei Keo district tomorrow before it leaves Phnom Penh Autonomous Port two days later, Van said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Don Weinland at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,