Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Four cases at arbitration centre in the first half

Four cases at arbitration centre in the first half

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Staff of the National Commercial Arbitration Centre are seen at work last year at its office in Phnom Penh. Pha Lina

Four cases at arbitration centre in the first half

The Kingdom’s National Commercial Arbitration Centre (NCAC) received four more disputes during the first half of this year, making it a total of 11 cases filed at the centre since it became fully operational in 2014.

NCAC secretary-general Suy Sothy confirmed on Tuesday that since its establishment, the centre has successfully resolved four of the disputes.

He said various parties have filed cases at the NCAC and found it to be more affordable and efficient than solving issues through the Kingdom’s court system.

“I believe that from now on, the centre will receive more dispute cases as many more businesses and legal experts are showing an interest than previously,” he said.

He said that the NCAC is also reaching out to more businessmen and lawyers daily to inform them of its process.

Sothy said most disputes that are submitted to the NCAC are commercial in nature and related to leasing or property contracts.

He noted that the cost of having a dispute settled varies widely from one case to another. However, there are several fixed fees such as registration, administration, convening a tribunal and for arbitration.

Initially established in 2013, the NCAC remains relatively unknown in the Kingdom. It was started with the intention of providing businesses an option to bypass legal hurdles.

An independent body, the NCAC uses a panel of experts overseen by an ethics committee to resolve disputes. Its decisions are legally binding.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old