Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Government to offer free bus services to provinces for Khmer New Year

Government to offer free bus services to provinces for Khmer New Year

A Phnom Penh municipal bus seen last year.
A Phnom Penh municipal bus seen last year. Moeun Nhean

Government to offer free bus services to provinces for Khmer New Year

The government plans to provide limited free bus services on a first-come, first-served basis along National Roads 1 and 5 during the week of Khmer New Year, though how such a plan will be implemented remains unclear.

Sixty buses are set to run from April 12 to April 18 and will leave Phnom Penh at 5:30am each morning after their seats are filled, according to Phnom Penh City Hall spokesman Met Measpheakdey.

The city’s plan was in direct response to an announcement of a free bus service from Prime Minister Hun Sen on his Facebook page on Sunday, so Measpheakdey said City Hall would be using the next week to finalise their preparations.

When asked if there would be a ticketing system to manage the crowds or determine who would get a seat on the free buses, the spokesman said it would be determined based on who sat down on the bus first.

“We wouldn’t issue any ticket and we have no requirements, it is first-come, first-served and free of charge,” Measpheakdey said. “The bus will leave when the seats are full, and further information about stops and destinations will be announced later.”

About 60 of the city’s public buses, many of which were donated by China last year, will be used to ferry passengers from three loading points in the city.

Buses currently operating in the city have either 25, 35 or 50 seats, likely meaning the maximum number of passengers that could ride in a single day would be about 3,000, or about 0.15 percent of Phnom Penh’s population. Measpheakdey declined to provide specifics about the size of the buses that would be used.

Private taxi drivers, who often charge a premium during holidays when demand for taxi services is higher, had mixed reactions to the announcement yesterday.

Noun Chhunry, a van driver who hauls passengers from Phnom Penh to Pursat province along National Road 5, was unhappy with the announcement, saying that the premier’s political calculation would cost him money.

“I will have fewer clients and make a lower profit, and holidays are my big earning days,” he said. “I know this is the political interest. It is true [Hun Sen] will earn favour for the election.”

But Bona Seng, a driver who also works along National Road 5 from Phnom Penh to Battambang, said he wasn’t concerned about the potential impact of the decision.

“I’m glad to hear this from the prime minister; it will help those who don’t make much money,” he said.

“A million passengers are going to leave for Khmer New Year, more or less. I am sure I will get clients on that day.”

Measpheakdey acknowledged that the move would likely hurt some drivers, but said that the government providing a free service in direct competition with local businesspeople was part of the free market.

“We should be concerned with everyone’s interests,” he said. “For sure, it would hurt some local business drivers, but it is the free market, no matter if it is from the government or not.”

The three pickup destinations are planned at the intersection of National Road 4 and Kob Srov Road; the new Freedom Park in Russey Keo district; and near the Mercedes outlet on Hun Sen Boulevard, according to the spokesman.

MOST VIEWED

  • Time to avert disastrous Covid situation: officials

    The Covid-19 situation in Cambodia is heading towards further large-scale community transmission as the total number of confirmed cases is nearing 61,000 and the death toll passed 900 on July 10, senior health officials warned. Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine expressed concern that the country was going

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Baby saved as mother is lost to Covid

    Newborn baby Neth David has had a rough start in the world. His mother, Vong Daneth, was seven months pregnant when she contracted a severe case of Covid-19. When it became clear to her doctors that she would not survive, they performed a cesarean section

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • Hun Sen: Get 12-17 age group ready for Covid jabs

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has told parents of children aged 12-17 in Phnom Penh and the provinces of Kandal and Preah Sihanouk to get them ready for vaccinations soon. “There is a need to vaccinate children and youths aged 12 to 17. According to the statistics provided