Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Gov’t produce plan a relative success

Gov’t produce plan a relative success

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The 2,000 households signed on to the Boosting Food Production programme were able to produce 28,130 tonnes of vegetables last year. POST STAFF

Gov’t produce plan a relative success

A $20 million government agricultural initiative achieved remarkable results in its three years of operation but still fell far short of its target, the General Directorate of Agriculture reported.

The Boosting Food Production programme, a three-year initiative launched in mid-2016, had set a goal of supplying the local market with 60,000 tonnes a year of vegetables that meet international quality and safety standards.

Spearheaded by the ministries of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries; and Economy and Finance, the project was motivated by the pinch of rising food prices, unfavourable trends in international competitiveness and the more than $200 million in annual vegetable imports.

In its summary report of the initiative, the directorate said the 2,000 households signed on to the programme were able to produce 28,130 tonnes of vegetables last year, or 77 tonnes per day. This represents just 47 per cent of the target.

Last year’s figure is equivalent to a 13 per cent jump from the 24,900 provided in 2018, which was a far cry from the 10,200 generated in 2017, it said.

The project benefited 58,280 people directly and 301,680 indirectly during its implementation, it added.

Kean Sophea, deputy director of the agriculture ministry’s Department of Horticulture and Subsidiary Crops, noted that the initiative was a bit too ambitious and that it assumed that the average land area owned by the households was 4,000sqm.

However, that number is actually closer to 3,000sqm, he said.

Looking on the positive side, Sophea said: “Having provided farmers with modern techniques and irrigation systems, we were able to chalk up a higher volume of vegetables each year.”

Still, he said the first iteration of the programme was insufficient to cover the massive needs of producers and consumers.

On the other hand, it highlighted the potential of the Kingdom’s farmers to churn out more safe vegetables and fragrant paddy varieties when backed by technical assistance and given material and financial support, he said.

“The General Directorate of Agriculture wants to continue the food production promotion project in a second phase.

“[This is] to ensure clear and effective achievements toward expanding financial and economic profit to locals in the 11 target provinces and subsequent ones as per their cultivation potential,” Sophea said.

Ek Chantha, a farmer and member of the Ten Baht Agricultural Community based in Pursat province, said the community received technical training from the directorate and development partners as part of the initiative.

She said its members strive to grow vegetables according to good agricultural practices (GAP) and government policy.

“We’re seeing success these days, having been awarded GAP certification. Our farmers’ vegetable market has received loads of support, netting us higher prices, which has in turn allowed us to lead better lives and turn to growing safer vegetables,” Chantha said.

According to the report, the households covered by the initiative farm on 697ha, of which 1,873 own less than 1ha and 127 have more.

Farmers were organised into 138 safe-vegetable production groups and 33 vegetable production communities to grow “safe vegetables” in accordance with GAP regulations, it said.

“On-site inspections showed that farmers were able to expand their cultivation area when equipped with adequate irrigation systems and armed with better vegetable production techniques,” it added.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman