Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Grab Vietnam rulings should be overturned’

‘Grab Vietnam rulings should be overturned’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Photo shows a group of GrabBike riders in Hanoi.

‘Grab Vietnam rulings should be overturned’

THE ride-hailing firm Grab has been cleared of charges by Ho Chi Minh City Superior People’s Procuracy which declared there is no causal relationship between Grab’s violations and the local taxi operator Vinasun’s damages.

The Ho Chi Minh City Superior People’s Procuracy proposed that the Ho Chi Minh City Superior People’s Court overturn the decision of the Ho Chi Minh City People’s Court made in December that said ride-hailing firm Grab must compensate local taxi firm Vinasun for alleged losses the latter had allegedly suffered.

The Ho Chi Minh City People’s Court had said that Grab should pay 4.8 billion dong ($210,300) to compensate Vinasun and pay a 347 million dong fee for the work that Cuu Long Company did for Vinasun in assessing and calculating the taxi company’s losses.

The compensation amount was much lower than Vinasun’s demand of 41.2 billion dong, which it allegedly suffered during the 2016-17 period. Vinasun alleged Grab was the sole factor for its earnings decline after Grab began doing business in Vietnam in 2015.

The Ho Chi Minh City People’s Court in December also reaffirmed its decision made in October that Grab was guilty of predatory pricing and in violation of the Ministry of Transport’s Decision 24 on the pilot programme for contracted passenger transport.

In addition, Grab had claimed to be a technology firm, but Vinasun argued that Grab was a taxi transport company with a large number of drivers and that Grab had hurt local taxi companies’ earnings by offering cheaper fares.
The court said that Grab had violated Vietnam’s laws on transportation.

As the number of Grab cars began to increase, more Vinasun taxis were not being used, raising inventory and maintenance costs for Vinasun.

However, the city Superior People’s Procuracy, in its decision on Tuesday, said Grab had been allowed to pilot contracted passenger transportation under the Ministry of Transport’s Decision 24 and there had been no proof of violations made by Grab.

In May last year, Grab was granted a business licence for passenger transportation downtown, except for bus operations, from the Ho Chi Minh City’s Planning and Investment Department. Grab followed all of Decision 24 instructions, the Procuracy said.

The Procuracy said Vinasun had not provided evidence to show Grab’s violations were the only cause for Vinasun’s losses.

Without such evidence, the Procuracy proposed that the Superior Court deny Vinasun’s demand for compensation of 41.2 billion dong.

“The decline of Vinasun’s turnover [if it had actually declined] might have been caused by many reasons, which weren’t mentioned in the accumulative losses assessed by the Cuu Long Company for Vinasun. But Grab’s passenger transportation did not violate the law.

“Vinasun’s lawsuit does not have a legal foundation,” the Procuracy said in its decision.

The lawsuit was initially filed by Vinasun 18 months ago. VIET NAM NEWS/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • Draft law on state of emergency pending finalisation

    Prime Minister Hun Sen will lead a top-level meeting on Tuesdays to review the draft law on imposing a state of emergency. Meantime, he has decided to close all casinos in Cambodia effective April 1. In the press conference after the National Assembly met today, Hun

  • State of emergency on table amid pandemic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen, his deputy prime ministers and legal team will meet on Tuesday to review the draft law on declaring a state of emergency, as Covid-19 cases rose to 107 in the Kingdom on Monday. Speaking at a press conference after a parliament meeting

  • Stranded passengers petition UK for help

    Some 10,521 people have signed an online petition calling on British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and relevant officials to fly nearly 200 passengers out of Cambodia. The petition is targeted at 15,000 people. Most of the passengers are British nationals, who are stranded in Cambodia after airlines cancelled

  • Many in limbo as tension heightens

    As the Kingdom restricts travel and prepares for a state of emergency, some foreigners in Cambodia are scrambling for a way home. Foreign embassies in Phnom Penh are making efforts to get their citizens out, but cancelled flights have become common due to the coronavirus

  • Covid-19 Pandemic: Force majeure and legal consequences

    Is the Covid-19 pandemic considered an event of force majeure? The World Health Organisation declared the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak a pandemic on March 11. Following this declaration, the Ministry of Health and other ministries have taken various legal and administrative measures to prevent the rapid

  • No word on state of emergency

    The National Assembly (NA) said it will postpone all unnecessary meetings in line with guidance from the Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) amid the Covid-19 pandemic. However, it did not say when or how it will debate the “state of emergency”