Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Hello waves users goodbye

Hello waves users goodbye

Hello waves users goodbye

MOBILE provider Hello has seen its subscriber base cut nearly in half in just three months, according to statistics compiled by the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications.

Statistics for June – which measured the number of active SIM cards for the Kingdom’s nine mobile operators – showed that Hello’s subscriber base declined 46 percent to 491,146 customers, from 910,077 in March.

The firm has fallen behind rival Mfone to become Cambodia’s fourth-largest provider by subscriber numbers, according to the data.

But yesterday, Hello’s chief marketing officer, Eric Chong, said that its bottom line had not been hurt by the decline in active SIM cards recorded by the MPTC.

“We have not seen a significant impact to our revenue over the same period,” he wrote yesterday, while admitting that the firm had been behind rivals in introducing per- second billing.

“Over the period, we purged our subscriber base to reflect the actual active subscribers on our network,” he said.
Chong said that per-second billing introduced last week had seen a “positive response” from customers so far.

The data produced by the MPTC showed that Star-Cell, Smart Mobile, and Metfone gained the largest number of subscribers by percentage.

Star-Cell’s base grew by 39 percent to 486,749 users. Company officials confirmed the numbers yesterday, but declined further comment.
Smart Mobile’s subscribers reportedly increased by 22 percent to 367,693.

Metfone, Cambodia’s second largest provider, saw its subscriber numbers increase by some 17.9 percent. Owned by the Vietnamese military, the firm’s total active subscribers stood at 2 million, up from 1.7 million as recorded in March.

The largest mobile provider in Cambodia remained Mobitel, which reported 2.8 million active SIMs. Part of the Royal Group headed by Kith Meng, Mobitel’s subscribers rose by about 4 percent from the March figure.

Beeline, owned by Moscow-based Vimpelcom, saw a 24 percent decline to 256,542 active users in June, according to the MPTC’s statistics. Beeline’s General Director Gael Campan did not return a request for comment yesterday.

Qb saw a drop of some 7 percent to 87,958 active users in June.

Qb Chief Executive Officer Alan Sinfield wrote yesterday that his company was performing well and retaining active users. He said that the decline was a result of removing older, inactive numbers from its registry.

The figures show there are some 7.3 million active SIM cards in Cambodia, but operators have noted that many people own multiple SIM cards and frequently switch among them, chasing promotional tariffs.

MPTC’s Directorate of Telecommunications Policies Reg-ulation Deputy Director Sieng Sithy, who was not available for comment yesterday, has said previously that the statistics are an amalgamation of data reported by the operators to the ministry on a monthly basis.

Definitions of “active SIM” cards vary among the Kingdom’s nine operators, Sieng Sithy said.

“Generally, [they base it on] a three-months policy,” he said.

“If the number is not active within three months then it is removed. But some operators use a six-month basis, while others only one month.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Archaeologists find ancient remnant

    A team from the Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a gatekeeper statue’s foot fragment at the Tonle Snguot Temple, within a metre of the toe of a statue found in 2017. ANA spokesman Long Kosal told The Post on Wednesday that the fragment was

  • Hun Sen to the rescue

    Cambodia has won praise for allowing passengers of the MS Westerdam cruise ship to dock at Preah Sihanouk port, thanks to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s humanitarian act. In a message via Twitter on Wednesday, the director-general of the World Health Organisation Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesu

  • EU partially withdraws EBA

    The EU Commission on Wednesday announced the partial withdrawal of the Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme, citing a serious and systematic violation by Cambodia of principles in the four core human and labour rights. The suspension affects one-fifth or €1 billion ($1.08 billion) of Cambodia’s annual

  • Japan calls for policy changes

    Representatives of Japanese companies and investors on Wednesday submitted a list of policy recommendations to the government concerning 21 challenges to the Kingdom’s business climate. Japanese Ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami and leaders of the Japanese Business Association in Cambodia (JBAC), Japan International Cooperation Agency

  • Still no word about EBA but rice likely unaffected

    Officials on Monday said the government had not received an official statement regarding the EU’s potential withdrawal of Cambodia’s Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme. The EU launched the EBA withdrawal procedure on February 12, citing “a deterioration of democracy [and] respect for human rights”

  • Hate worse than virus, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Tuesday criticised countries that have cancelled flights with China following the outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), arguing that such moves amounted to discrimination against the Chinese. In a speech delivered during the groundbreaking ceremony for work on national roads 2