Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Honor slated to launch 5G phone next month

Honor slated to launch 5G phone next month

Honor slated to launch 5G phone next month

Smartphone vendor Honor’s president confirmed the launch of its first 5G smartphone next month, as the tipping point of 5G smartphones is set to start in China in the coming one or two months, which industry insiders said was faster than expected.

Zhao Ming, president of Honor, a key smartphone brand targeting young consumers of tech firm Huawei Technologies Co, said in an interview with China Daily that in November Honor will unveil its “V30 series smartphones with 5G and some hard techs on board”.

“Such a timeline is after careful consideration as the run-in period of 5G smartphones pretty much ended here in China. We believe the V30 series will be a hot series by then,” Zhao said at the World Internet Conference, which ended on Tuesday.

Zhao said that the past few months did not see the popularisation of 5G smartphones, mainly due to the immaturity of support networks and a lack of attractive selling points for current 5G handsets.

“In the next one or two months, Chinese consumers’ passion for 5G smartphones will be fully driven. The tipping point of 5G smartphone users will come soon after then,” he said.

Sales of 5G smartphones are expected to rocket at the beginning of next year. Around 100 million 5G smartphones are likely to be sold next year, he predicted.

His words came after Chinese consumers have shown huge enthusiasm for 5G smartphone and related mobile services. More than 10 million people have pre-ordered mobile package services for 5G earlier this month.

A report from the China Academy of Information and Communications Technology also said that a total of 497,000 5G smartphones have been shipped in China last month, almost double from 291,000 in August.

“Chinese consumers have shown huge enthusiasm for 5G smartphones, which has outpaced our expectations,” Lei Jun, founder and CEO of another leading smartphone vendor Xiaomi Corp, said at the World Internet Conference.

To tap into this demand, Lei said that Xiaomi plans to launch over 10 types of 5G smartphones next year and will cover all mid-and high-end types.

Fu Liang, an independent analyst who has been following the telecom industry for more than a decade, said a key hurdle in 5G adoption was the price of 5G smartphones and data packages, along with the 5G support network.

“But Chinese companies are adopting aggressive strategies to extend 5G coverage and lower the prices. The more quickly 5G networks are constructed and the cheaper the smartphones and data packages are, the easier it will be to convince people to purchase them,” Fu said.

CHINA DAILY/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges