Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Huawei hopes to bring its flair for innovation to TV manufacturing

Huawei hopes to bring its flair for innovation to TV manufacturing

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A Huawei employee introduces the company's Honor smartphones at an industry expo in Beijing. China Daily

Huawei hopes to bring its flair for innovation to TV manufacturing

Honor, one of the two signature smartphone brands of Huawei Technologies Co, announced that it will unveil a smart big-screen product next month, marking the company’s official entry into the TV-related sector.

Honor president Zhao Ming said: “We hope to leverage our years of innovation in smartphones to reshape the role of TV in our lives.”

On top of boasting the entertainment features of traditional TVs, Honor’s smart-screen product will function as a centre for information sharing for families and a centre for multi-device interaction.

According to Zhao, the new product will also have big potential in industrial use, given its strong computing, telecommunication, interaction and sensory capabilities.

He said Honor started thinking about how TVs and other big-screen products would evolve with technological advancements as early as in 2015.

“TV has its irreplaceable advantages. TVs and smartphones will work as two centres in people’s daily lives,” Zhao said, adding that currently research and development (R&D) spending on TVs is still not enough, which impedes the industry’s development.

“Huawei’s strong R&D push into TVs can even outperform that of some entire TV companies. That’s one of our edges,” Zhao said.

China’s TV market is forecast to see a slide of 1.6 per cent year-on-year in sales this year, with about 47 million TVs sold, according to market research company All View Cloud.

Xiang Ligang, director-general of the Information Consumption Alliance, a telecom industry association, said: “Despite the mounting competition in the TV market, products that can bring new value are still of great appeal to consumers and Honor’s success in smartphones and its popularity among young users can give it an edge in big-screen products.”

The move came as Huawei is facing restrictions from the US government which banned the Chinese company in May from buying US technologies without special government approval.

Reuters reported on Monday that the US government may grant licences to companies to restart new sales to Huawei in two to four weeks after US President Donald Trump said US companies can continue selling certain telecom components to Huawei at the G20 summit in Osaka, Japan, late last month.

At the same time, Huawei is reportedly shrinking its business in the US, as the world’s largest telecom equipment maker plans layoffs at its US-based research and development subsidiary Futurewei Technologies, the Wall Street Journal reported.

The exact number of layoffs could not be determined, but the R&D unit hires about 850 people in labs in places such as Texas, California and Washington State, the Journal cited anonymous sources as saying.

Huawei declined to comment on the two stories. CHINA DAILY

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97