Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Huawei, Qualcomm see room for synergy

Huawei, Qualcomm see room for synergy

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A Huawei logo is displayed at a retail store in Beijing on May 20, 2019.

Huawei, Qualcomm see room for synergy

Semiconductor maker Qualcomm Inc said it has settled a patent dispute with Chinese tech giant Huawei Technologies Co Ltd and signed a long-term, global patent licensing agreement with the latter.

The new agreement is likely to pave the way for the US company to supply 5G semiconductors to Huawei in the future despite the current US restrictions, said experts.

Huawei will pay Qualcomm $1.8 billion for back royalties owed for 2019 and for the first six months of this year under the new global patent licence agreement. The new deal also includes a cross licence granting back rights to certain Huawei patents, covering sales beginning January 1, Qualcomm said.

While Huawei is still barred from buying Qualcomm chips under US regulations, it has now resumed paying licensing fees for wireless technology, Qualcomm said.

Jia Mo, an analyst at market research company Canalys, said the latest US semiconductor curbs unveiled in May are specifically designed to contain Huawei’s chip-designing capabilities, and they did not restrict Huawei from buying chips designed by other companies.

He said: “If Huawei can purchase chips from Qualcomm in the future, the US company can rake in more money, and the US government is likely to approve it.

“For Huawei, the more potential options it has, the smaller its risks will be in the future. As a result, it is important for the Chinese company to maintain good relations with Qualcomm so as to reduce future risks,” Jia said.

But he also warned that due to the unstable geopolitical environment, changes appear possible in the future.

The US government put Huawei in an “Entity List” in May last year which required US firms to obtain a licence to export domestically produced chips and software.

In May this year, Washington expanded these rules by requiring contract chip producers anywhere in the world that use US semiconductor equipment and technology to obtain its approval before producing chips designed by Huawei’s subsidiary HiSilicon.

An analyst from a domestic securities company said the new agreement paves the way for Qualcomm to supply its high-end chips to Huawei, if Washington approves such an arrangement in the future.

The move comes close on the heels of a new industry report that Huawei had displaced Samsung as the world’s largest smartphone vendor in the second quarter of this year in terms of shipments.

It was the first quarter in nine years that a company other than Samsung or Apple has led the market, according to data from market research company Canalys.

During the quarter, Huawei shipped 55.8 million devices, down five per cent on a yearly basis, while the second-placed Samsung saw shipments fall by over 30 per cent to 53.7 million units on a yearly basis.

Canalys said Huawei is still subject to US government restrictions, which have affected its business outside of the Chinese mainland. Its overseas shipments fell by 27 per cent from April to June.

CHINA DAILY/Asia News Network

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year