Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Korean tourist numbers hold steady despite regional fears

Korean tourist numbers hold steady despite regional fears

Korean tourist numbers hold steady despite regional fears

Despite current tensions between North and South Korea, Cambodia’s tourism minister said yesterday that the number of tourists from South Korea to the Kingdom had not dropped.

“I don’t see any cancellations or suspensions of flights or a decline in the number of South Korean visitors to our country over the recent tensions,” Minister of Tourism Thong Khong told the Post.

However, Ho Vandy, representative of the tourism private sector, raised concerns over the issue.

“It is a big challenge, because South Korean tourists are very important to us. If the situation worsens, there would be a big impact on our tourism industry like we faced with Japanese tourists,” he said, referring to the drop-off in the number of Japanese visitors following the 2011 tsunami. Before the tsunami, he added, Japan had the largest number of tourists visiting Cambodia.

In the latest in the military crisis between the two Koreas, the North yesterday blocked access to a key joint industrial zone with South Korea as heightened rhetoric has put both sides on edge.

Khong said that so far there appears to be nothing to worry about. “There are no reports that it [the stand-off] is affecting our tourism industry. But, normally, during the hot season, the number usually declines a bit,” Khong said, adding that in the first two months, the number of tourists from South Korea had jumped eight per cent compared to the same period last year, making it the largest source of tourists for the Kingdom.  

Chheuy Chhorn, director of the Siem Reap provincial tourism department confirmed that there has been no drop in South Korean tourist numbers to his province.

“I don’t see any drop, because the number of flights from [the region] is still the same. South Korean tourists were the most numerous to visit my province during the first two months of this year,” he said.

Norinda Khek, communications and PR director of the Phnom Penh International Airport, noted that no flights have been suspended or cancelled.

Official data from the Ministry of Tourism showed that Cambodia received 411,491 South Korean tourists in 2012 compared to 342,810 a year earlier, the second highest after Vietnam.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked

  • Assembly passes amendment to Political Party Law Article 45

    The National Assembly on Thursday unanimously approved a proposed amendment to Article 45 of the Law on Political Parties in a move that could pave the way for former senior opposition leaders banned for five years to return to the political stage. As expected, the 115 ruling