Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mesco set to draw first gold from Ratanakkiri mine

Mesco set to draw first gold from Ratanakkiri mine

Mesco set to draw first gold from Ratanakkiri mine

Mesco Gold has established the required surface-level infrastructure and is awaiting government approval to begin the extraction of gold at its Phum Syarung mine in Ratanakkiri province, the company’s director said yesterday.

The Indian mining firm is poised to become the first operational commercial mine in Cambodia and could begin drawing gold in early 2016.

Rajeev Moudgil, director of Mesco Gold (Cambodia) Ltd, said the company has built two inclines on the 12-square-kilometre plot it bought mining rights to in 2013, and is erecting winders capable of hauling excavated material from underground to the surface. It has also constructed an assay lab and office, as well as access and haul roads.

He said Mesco Gold has already submitted its environmental-impact assessment and was set to begin extracting ore within weeks of receiving its production licence, though it could take up to a year before gold production begins.

“The inclines are following the ore body, so technically extraction can start within one or two months of the granting of the mining licence,” Moudgil said.

“It would take close to 12 months to set up a gold processing plant, hence we expect to start production within 12 months of [receiving the] mining licence.”

It will take another six months to ramp up production to full capacity of 500 tonnes a day, he added.

Mesco Gold – a subsidiary of Indian steelmaker Mesco – purchased the rights to develop and mine the Phum Syarung prospect from Canadian mineral exploration firm Angkor Gold Corp in 2013.

As part of the $1.2 million sale agreement to Mesco, Angkor Gold negotiated a net smelter royalty agreement that would see it receive a share of any gold extracted.

“[It’s] a sliding scale royalty that depends on the price of gold,” said John-Paul Dau, vice president of operations at Angkor Gold.

He said that the royalty was previously about 7.5 per cent, but falling gold prices had reduced it to a current rate of 4 per cent to 5 per cent.

Angkor Gold estimates that an underground mine built at Phum Syarung could produce 10,000 ounces of gold a year over a 10-year mine life.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting