Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mfone losses $13m

Mfone losses $13m

Mfone losses $13m

The majority owners of Cambodian mobile phone provider Mfone lost more than US$13 million in the Kingdom last year.

Pointing to the large number of mobile operators active in Cambodia, Thaicom said there was a “price war and intense competition in the market” in its annual report, which added an appreciating Thai baht as a factor in the loss.

The Bangkok-listed company claimed a loss of 405 million baht (US$13.2 million) in its Cambodia results for 2010, on revenues of 959 million baht.

This compares with a 7.6 million baht profit in the Kingdom in 2009, on 1.514 billion baht in revenues, the report released late last week stated.

The firm also announced an adjusted net book value for Mfone’s property and equipment to about 2.317 billion baht as of December 31, a 22 percent drop on the 2.972 billion baht it had claimed the previous year.

Thaicom did not discuss the reason for the downwards adjustment in Cambodia, but said globally its property, plant and equipment had also declined in value by 8.7 percent.

This decrease was “mostly due to depreciation and amortisation expenses in 2010”, it said.

Thaicom’s Cambodia operations had contributed 20.7 percent of its overall revenues in 2009, but had declined to 14 percent of the company’s global revenues in 2010, according to the report.

The declining value of the US dollar against the Thai baht last year impacted Mfone’s bottom line, as it generates much of its revenue in greenbacks.

“The appreciation of baht has caused lower revenue from the telephone business in Cambodia in baht as Mfone reported financial statements in US dollars,” the report said.

Despite a new strategic approach launched last year which saw Mfone increasingly target specific market niches by tailoring plans to groups such as young people and Muslims, user numbers also declined over 2010.

Mfone claimed 723,860 subscribers at the end of December 2010, a 15.8 percent decline on the 860,089 subscribers at the end of 2009.

Previous Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications statistics showed that Mfone had 660,000 subscribers last November.

Last year, former Mfone chief executive officer Adisai Soonthornratanarak had said the firm had previously “struggled” with competitive pricing among mobile operators, but said “differentiating yourself is the key to success”.

Thaicom is the 51-percent owner of Mfone.

The remainder is owned through a joint venture between Qatar Telecom and ST Telemedia of Singapore, according to Thaicom’s website.

It also owns 100-percent of satellite television provider Cambodian DTV Network Limited.

Cambodia has eight active mobile operators following a merger earlier this year between Smart Mobile and Star-Cell, with the combined company operating under the Smart brand.

At the announcement of the merger last month, Smart chief executive officer Thomas Hundt said the sector was likely overcrowded – a widely-held view in the industry – adding there were few countries with as many mobile operators relative to the number of people as Cambodia.

Company officials have confirmed that Yap Wai Khee is now serving as Mfone chief executive officer, after taking over the helm from Adisai Soonthornratanarak.

He could not be reached for comment today.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.