Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry to crack down on fake service charges

Ministry to crack down on fake service charges

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Tourists exit the Royal Palace in 2016 in the Kingdom’s capital. Pha Lina

Ministry to crack down on fake service charges

TOURISM sector businesses will be fined up to 300,000 riel ($75) if caught imposing “service charges” without first applying to the Ministry of Tourism, an announcement issued on Monday said.

The ministry’s director of the tourism, accommodation and food and beverage (F&B) management, Kim Serey Rath, who issued the warning, told The Post on Monday: “We will check on restaurants and those providing accommodations.

“And if anyone is found abusing the order, we will issue them with fines without exception.”

The purpose of controlling the number of establishments that can impose the charge, he said, is to strengthen service quality across the industry.

He said the ministry noted that some operators were including service charges without complying with the ministry’s procedures, adding that approved service charges should never be more than 10 percent.

In order to impose the service charge, a business must have a valid tourism licence and a “quality” certificate issued by the ministry, it said in its announcement.

All certified business operator must also put a notice of their service charge at the entrance to their establishment.

“We want to ensure a high quality of service for the public, and business owners must allow customers to comment on their services,” he said, referring to the ministry’s status as a channel for feedback within the sector.

According to the Tourism Ministry’s 2017 report, licences have been issued to 33,727 restaurants, 781 hotels and 2,255 guesthouses.

The Kingdom’s biggest tourist draw, the Angkor Archaeological Park, welcomed 858,580 visitors in the first quarter of this year, according to the report. It generated more than $39 million and represented a 12 percent increase over the same period last year.
Cambodian Tourism Federation President Sinan Thourn welcomed the move.

“It is a good move by the ministry. Business operators should not charge extra on the bill before their quality of service is properly certified,” Thourn said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy