Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New code will protect mobile phone users from unwanted service charges

New code will protect mobile phone users from unwanted service charges

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Mobile phone users will be able to dial 1-200 to immediately unsubscribe from service packages when the code goes into effect. Hong Menea

New code will protect mobile phone users from unwanted service charges

The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications plans to implement an existing unified feature code by mid-June that will allow mobile phone users to unsubscribe from any unwanted services and avoid phone credit deduction.

The ministry has urged the Telecommunication Regulator of Cambodia (TRC) to cooperate with all mobile operators in the Kingdom to speed up the code’s implementation. The code was developed to eliminate practices that adversely affect consumers.

This comes after public complaints about unknown mobile phone fees and unknown service connections, said the ministry.

It said users should be clearly aware of the services they receive and additional services charged by their providers.

These services include plan adjustments, money exchange, call tunes, lottery, horoscope, music, sports news, loan services, as well as the option to hide your Caller ID on outgoing calls by default.

TRC spokesman Im Vutha told The Post on Sunday that the move would help quash consumer scepticism and boost confidence in telecommunications.

He said mobile phone users will be able to dial 1-200 to immediately unsubscribe from service packages when the code goes into effect.

“If a user is not happy with a service package or suspects that there is a service that has been put on him or her, then they can dial 1-200 to unsubscribe. If they want to reconnect to any service they can do so.

“We are working on the technical aspect and are pressing the TRC to speed up work on its end to overcome public confusion and distrust,” said Vutha, adding that the code is to be available on all mobile phone networks.

“We are now working with the operators to update their software to recognise the 1-200 code, so that users can dial it and unsubscribe from any service on any mobile system,” he said.

The number of registered mobile SIM cards reached more than 21 million last year, up nearly 12 per cent compared to 2018, said a TRC report.

The figures show that last year, the number of registered SIM cards provided by the country’s six mobile operators reached 21.63 million – up 11.63 per cent compared to 2018.

The number is equivalent to 133 per cent of Cambodia’s total population, which stands at just over 16 million.

The report said mobile internet usage also saw a rapid increase with 16.12 million subscribers using their mobile phones to access online content last year, an increase of 18.47 per cent.

Fixed-mobile phone users declined by 35 per cent to 57,438 while fixed-broadband internet subscribers grew to 224,104, a 46 per cent increase.

There are currently six mobile companies operating in Cambodia – CellCard, Metfone, Smart Axiata, qb, Seatel and CooTel.

Watch video:

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • Phnom Penh underpass opens to ease traffic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced a temporary opening of the 488m underpass at the Chaom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district, which was recently completed to connect traffic from National Road 4 to Russian Federation Blvd. The move is to reduce

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from