Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New facility planned at port

New facility planned at port

New facility planned at port

Camboida aims to construct an US$88 million addition to Sihanoukville Autonomous Port partly to facilitate oil exploration, according to company officials.

The project will be funded by the Japanese government and aims to provide a multi-purpose facility capable of handling 300,000 tonnes of cargo per year, said port Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Lou Kim Chhun.

“We hope the new port will be able to ship farm products and wood for producing paper, as well as support the activity of exploring for oil and gas,” he said.

The $87.88 million addition is slated to sit on 15 hectares of land, with work to begin in November.

It is tentatively scheduled for a June 2014 completion, and is planned to sit near existing port facilities, according to Lou Kim Chhun.

Government authorities and the funding partner are now seeking consultants and construction companies to build the port, and aim to include the scheme in the 2010-2011 working results of the Ministry of Public Works and Transport.

Cambodian exporters today voiced support for plans to expand the port’s capabilities.

Chan Vuthy, general director of Golden Rice Cambodia, said increased capacity would aid the firm with shipping produce in large quantities to international buyers.

“We will study the capacity of using the multi-purpose port as a basic part of exporting process for the time to come,” he said today.

Golden Rice Cambodia has been increasingly shipping rice to Europe in recent years, benefiting from relaxed import duties under the European Union’s Everything But Arms initiative.

Sihanoukville Autonomous Port shipped goods totaling 2,217,000 tonnes in 2010, officials said earlier this year. The port – which is a state-owned enterprise – is also set to list on the Cambodia Securities Exchange.

Japanese-owned SBI Phnom Penh Securities has been selected as the underwriter for its Initial Public Offering.

Sihanoukville port generated $28.42 million in revenues last year, according to pre-audit figures.

The previous year it generated $25.15 million, according to data obtained earlier this year.

Last month, Lou Kim Chhun said that it was still being finalised what port assets would list on the exchange.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting