Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Nine groups join race to take over SsangYong Motor

Nine groups join race to take over SsangYong Motor

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
This file photo shows the main gate of SsangYong Motor's Pyeongtaek plant, 70 kilometers south of Seoul. YONHAP

Nine groups join race to take over SsangYong Motor

The race to acquire South Korea’s troubled SsangYong Motor is heating up beyond expectations, with nine groups reportedly having expressed interest.

According to local reports, a total of nine had submitted letters of intent to buy a controlling stake in the automaker, which is currently under court receivership, before the July 30 deadline.

They include Cardinal One Motors, set up by US-based auto importer and distributor HAAH Automotive Holdings, a consortium led by Korean electric bus maker Edison Motors, another led by Korean electric scooter maker Kpop Motors, Samra Midas Group and a local private equity.

Deal watchers had earlier predicted the race to be a two-way competition between HAAH and Edison. But with the last-minute entry of Samra Midas, which has shown a strong appetite for deals in the mergers and acquisitions scene recently, the competition appears to be growing hotter.

Up for sale is a majority stake in SsangYong, currently held by India’s Mahindra & Mahindra.

According to EY Hanyoung, the deal’s manager, the potential bidders will conduct preliminary due diligence from August 2-27 before finalising an offer.

The schedule for the main bidding process is not known, but SsangYong Motor said it hopes to select a preferred bidder within September.

Local reports said the buyer would have to assume SsangYong’s overdue debt worth 390 billion won ($340 million), on top of the deal’s price.

THE KOREA HERALD/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • WHO: Covid in Cambodia goes into new phase

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia said that Cambodia has reached a new phase of the pandemic with “decreasing case numbers, high vaccination coverage and a more transmissible circulating variant threatening a hidden surge”. In a press release on September 6, the WHO said that

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • 'Pursue your goals, reach out to me': Young diplomat tapped as envoy to South Korea

    Chring Botum Rangsay was a secretary of state at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation before being designated as the new Cambodian ambassador to South Korea. According to her official CV published on the foreign ministry’s website, she started her first government

  • School reopening ‘offers model for other sectors’

    World Health Organisation (WHO) representative to Cambodia Li Ailan said school reopening process should be used as a role model for reopening other sectors currently mothballed by the Covid-19 pandemic. Li strongly supports the government’s decision to reopen schools, saying it is a decision

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Covid jab drive for 6-11 age group to begin Sept 17

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has permitted Covid-19 vaccinations for over 1.8 million children aged 6-11 across the country from September 17 in order for them to return to school after a long hiatus. Hun Sen also hinted that vaccinations for the 3-6 age group will follow in