Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Noncompliant telecoms go unnamed by government

Noncompliant telecoms go unnamed by government

SIM cards sit on the counter of a mobile phone shop in Phnom Penh last year.
SIM cards sit on the counter of a mobile phone shop in Phnom Penh last year. Pha Lina

Noncompliant telecoms go unnamed by government

The government declined to provide the names of telecommunications companies that have not made required contributions to state-managed funds on Monday, appearing to go back on an earlier promise to publicise those names.

The deadline for telecom companies to pay about 3 percent of their annual revenue to the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications (MPT) was April 30, pushed back from an original deadline of March 1.

The ministry published a notice and bought an advertisement in The Phnom Penh Post to announce the new deadline in early April and promised to “publicly announce” the names and ownership of any companies that failed to meet the obligations “without exception”.

Contacted yesterday, all three officials who were listed on the announcement as coordinators of the interministerial task force in charge of that enforcement declined to provide the names or details of which companies had failed to make payments.

“I have no idea to comment at all, they just only put my number in the announcement,” said Sat Monyvibol, one of the listed contacts. “It is a job for higher duties.”

Oum Kakada, another contact listed on the announcement, said “I have no duty to provide information to media, I am only the coordinator.”

Nom Sinith, the third contact, said he was in Singapore and was unable to speak to a reporter.

The government pushed back the original deadline of March 1 after the ministry collected just $4.2 million of the total of over $17 million that was owed under regulations that came into effect as part of the 2016Telecommunications Law.

The majority of those payments – $3.5 million – came from a single company, Smart, the firm told The Post at the time.

The largest telecommunications companies in Cambodia include Smart, owned by Malaysian telecom giant Axiata; Cellcard, which is owned by the politically connected tycoon Kith Meng as part of the Royal Groupconglomerate; and Metfone, which is connected to the Vietnamese military.

A representative from Cellcard yesterday declined to answer questions about whether the company had paid into the funds, while an official at Metfone did not respond to emailed questions.

Smart has previously called for greater transparency surrounding revenue collection in the sector, though has avoided direct criticisms of the government’s approach.

Speaking about the company’s tax payments at an event held in August, Smart CEO Thomas Hundt said, “At this moment I would like to highlight the importance and desire for transparency, and certainly also a level playing field amongst all industry players that is not given to the full extent at this moment.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Time to avert disastrous Covid situation: officials

    The Covid-19 situation in Cambodia is heading towards further large-scale community transmission as the total number of confirmed cases is nearing 61,000 and the death toll passed 900 on July 10, senior health officials warned. Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine expressed concern that the country was going

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Baby saved as mother is lost to Covid

    Newborn baby Neth David has had a rough start in the world. His mother, Vong Daneth, was seven months pregnant when she contracted a severe case of Covid-19. When it became clear to her doctors that she would not survive, they performed a cesarean section

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • Hun Sen: Get 12-17 age group ready for Covid jabs

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has told parents of children aged 12-17 in Phnom Penh and the provinces of Kandal and Preah Sihanouk to get them ready for vaccinations soon. “There is a need to vaccinate children and youths aged 12 to 17. According to the statistics provided