Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Operators team up in criticism of Beeline

Operators team up in criticism of Beeline

Operators team up in criticism of Beeline

FIVE mobile phone operators have stepped up their accusations of price-dumping against rival Beeline by sending a letter to the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications (MPTC) requesting "urgent action".

The September 3 letter from Mobitel, Hello, Smart Mobile, qb and Mfone to Minister So Khun obtained by the Post Sunday accuses Beeline of violating an August 14 promise to raise cross-network tariffs from US$0.05 to $0.06 per minute.

"We respectfully request MPTC to take urgent action so as to compel Beeline to abide by [the agreement]," the letter says, requesting an "emergency meeting with Beeline to discuss this grave issue".

Beeline took out full-page ads in The Cambodia Daily on Saturday saying that "contrary to media speculation" it had met its obligations of the agreement - which also required Mobitel to stop blocking connectivity - by ceasing to take new users on its "Boom" tariff from September 1.

The tariff offered callers cross-network rates at $0.05 per minute. However, it promised existing subscribers they would still benefit from the low call rate, which other companies said was in violation of an agreement detailed in a ministry letter to the sector on August 17.

The ministry Tuesday established a task force chaired by Secretary of State Sarak Khan to resolve the dispute, in which Beeline has accused Mobitel of blocking interconnectivity.

The task force met Friday, according to an official who asked not to be named, and will draw up regulations on pricing and interconnectivity that will be enshrined legally as a prakas (edict) or sub-decree, Sarak Khan said last week.

MOST VIEWED

  • EU parliament’s 13-point vote to decide on possible sanctions

    The European Parliament is due to vote on Thursday on a 13-point resolution on Cambodia – which includes a call for the treason charges against bailed opposition leader Kem Sokha to be dropped – a threat that could see the EU enforce a range of sanctions against

  • Government hits back at threats to pull EBA, suspend UN seat

    The spokesman for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) has said the government is in no way concerned after the European Parliament gave it three months to reverse what it called the “systematic repression of the political opposition”. Ignoring the ultimatum could mean facing

  • Sar Kheng: Sokha requested security

    Interior Minister Sar Kheng on Sunday revealed the story behind the transfer of former opposition party leader Kem Sokha from Trapaing Phlong prison in Tbong Khmum province to his house in the capital. Speaking at the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) headquarters in Prey

  • Chinese influx pushing locals, Westerners out of Preah Sihanouk

    Some within the Kingdom’s tourism industry have speculated that the recent influx of Chinese visitors may hinder domestic tourism as the price of accommodations in the coastal city of Sihanoukville continues to rise. Preah Sihanouk province, which has become a hotbed for Chinese investment