Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Over 50K Malaysian SMEs have shuttered

Over 50K Malaysian SMEs have shuttered

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A roadblock in Jalan Sungai Besi on Oct 28 was part of the conditional MCO imposed on Kuala Lumpur. IZZRAFIQ ALIAS/The Star

Over 50K Malaysian SMEs have shuttered

A total of 50,269 small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in Malaysia have folded since March when the movement control order (MCO) was first implemented to stem Covid-19, says the Ministry of Entrepreneur Development and Cooperatives.

The ministry, quoting statistics by the Companies Commission of Malaysia (SSM), said 9,675 SMEs shut down operations during the first phase of the MCO from March 18 to June 9.

During the recovery MCO phase from June till September, 22,794 SMEs shut down.

August recorded the highest figure, with 17,800 SMEs folding during that month.

The ministry gave the statistics in a Parliamentary written reply dated November 5 in response to June Leow (the incumbent member of Parliament for Hulu Selangor federal constituency in Selangor), who asked the number of SMEs that have folded since the MCO was enforced.

Meanwhile, the ministry said its survey found that micro entrepreneurs were the most affected by the Covid-19 economic fallout, as a majority of them still have yet to receive government assistance.

To address this issue, it has proposed the government increase the current special Covid-19 financial relief to entrepreneurs.

It also proposed expanding product development training and diversifying promotional programmes and marketing hubs to increase product demand and market access.

The Star (MALAYSIA)/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four